Urch Forums

Automerge: What is happening? It's the new automerge feature!

nitin_kaul

Testing Automerge feature

This is the first post; I'm going to submit now.

Now, this is the second post; going to click submit.

Wow! Second went in perfectly. Third and hopefully, last. Let's see... :)

I was wondering what the hell is happening :mad:

Has my firefox gone crazy?

Why are people posting different quotes in the same message?:eek:

Well this is it Automerge feature.

Erin+ I think this is not needed as long as we have edit feature in our forum.

This is decreasing the post count here on World's largest Thread.

I hope this feature can be turned off.

Well now I am logged with Internet Explorer ...Let's see whether V-bulletin is smart enough .

I hope this does not get merged:luck2:

Regards,

Nitin Kaul

Erin+ I think this is not needed as long as we have edit feature in our forum.

This is decreasing the post count here on World's largest Thread.

I hope this feature can be turned off.

Well now I am logged with Internet Explorer ...Let's see whether V-bulletin is smart enough .

I hope you don't find it too annoying. :D

Actually, I added the feature only because I came across it while reading other posts at the official vB forum, and decided to give it a try. It just so happened that I had had to merge three posts made by a newcomer into one earlier that day, so I thought it might be a good idea. Please understand that anything that can reduce my work here in the forums as an admin is welcome, if only so that I can post more in the forums (as it is, I have to spend almost all of my time fixing things, moderating thread, helping people with their accounts, etc.). Forum newcomers tend to make a lot of posts one right after the other, so I thought this would be a good idea.

I understand that sometimes you may want to make several separate posts in a row (me, too!), but this coding is not sophisticated enough to be able to turn it off.

Of course, feedback is welcome. If it truly destroys the whole TM experience, I would never want to push it on our members; but if it's tolerable or even acceptable, then I'd rather try it out for a while longer to see how things go. :)

I hope you don't find it too annoying. :D

Actually, I added the feature only because I came across it while reading other posts at the official vB forum, and decided to give it a try. It just so happened that I had had to merge three posts made by a newcomer into one earlier that day, so I thought it might be a good idea. Please understand that anything that can reduce my work here in the forums as an admin is welcome, if only so that I can post more in the forums (as it is, I have to spend almost all of my time fixing things, moderating thread, helping people with their accounts, etc.). Forum newcomers tend to make a lot of posts one right after the other, so I thought this would be a good idea.

I understand that sometimes you may want to make several separate posts in a row (me, too!), but this coding is not sophisticated enough to be able to turn it off.

Of course, feedback is welcome. If it truly destroys the whole TM experience, I would never want to push it on our members; but if it's tolerable or even acceptable, then I'd rather try it out for a while longer to see how things go. :)

Thanks for the reply Erin+,

Well I do understand it is a difficult task to manage such of big forum.

I administer a small forum and the task is really hectic.

I had suggested to turn off the automerge feature beacuse it is a bit hinderance to that TM experience at least in "world's lonest thread"

People do post ..here continuous posts to increase the post count of the thread.

Well if anything like turning off the feature in a partilular area(forum)

can be worked out then at least you can disable the feature for the lounge.

See if there is a possibility.

We can also have a general opinion about the feature ...

what do you guys say arjen,ish,coolpaggy,mansi,illusionz.......

Thanks again Erin+ and my best wishes for the great job you are doing.

Regards,

Nitin kaul

:2cents: I think Erin's got a point- from the cost to benefit point of view, a reduced number of posts in the WLT (resulting from the merging of consecutive posts) is a small or negligible cost as compared to the benefit-avoiding confusion and saving space that would have been otherwise wasted by consecutive posts.

Of course, it does restrict the WLT but I think that it can be easily countered by ensuring that we space out our posts.

Well if anything like turning off the feature in a partilular area(forum)

can be worked out then at least you can disable the feature for the lounge.

See if there is a possibility.

Of course it's possible, but it's way beyond my abilities to program something like this. And of course, whenever you tinker with the code, you risk breaking something else. :(

As I said, if it's really that bad, I can remove it. After all, this forum exists for you, not me. :D Seriously. I want this forum to be a pleasing experience for everybody. :)