Urch Forums

Finished my revised GRE today Aug 6th

cheetahvn

Just took the GRE test today, and it was much more difficult than I thought. I did not have enough time to finish the last quant question on both sections. And the Verbal was tough. I scored on the practice test 750-800Q, and 540-650V. On the actual exam today I scored 740-800Q and 340-440V. The test was not easier but actually more difficult compared to the old one.

I'm using GRE official prep book, princeton, mcgrwhill, and 3000 vocabs from a chinese website. Reading is much longer than one in power prep. Sentence completion is more complicated. In my opinion, it would be easier for american not for international students.

• 2 weeks later...
In my opinion, it would be easier for american not for international students.

THIS. The revised verbal section is significantly easier for a native speaker of English and disproportionately more difficult for a non-native speaker; the new section is all about familiarity and comfort with language (intuition) rather than knowing memorized definitions, so it's really difficult to study for if you aren't VERY fluent in English.

• 3 weeks later...
I won't unless the percentile is too low. The purpose of the New GRE is too have the normal distribution. So if too many people get high score now, ETS might increase the difficulty to skew the distribution back to normal. Thus, the later exam might be more difficult. And I think my score is good enough, 'cuz schools look at overall performance. My friends got into Johns Hopkins, Cornell with 340-360 on Verbal.

THIS. The revised verbal section is significantly easier for a native speaker of English and disproportionately more difficult for a non-native speaker; the new section is all about familiarity and comfort with language (intuition) rather than knowing memorized definitions, so it's really difficult to study for if you aren't VERY fluent in English.

It also depends on how comfortable you are with English as an international student. I personally advocate the new Verbal on the revised GRE. I only got 420 on the old GRE but with teh new GRE I actually got 580-680 with minimal additional practice. It is all about critical reasoning and of course, vocabulary. Critical reasoning will get you down to about three possible choices and you can get the correct final answer by knowing difficult words (or be really good at guessing).