Urch Forums

Suggestions for Target Schools - PhD Quant Marketing w/ Family

PhD No Chance

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I'm trying to put together my list of target schools for next year. I was wondering if you had any thoughts about additional schools to consider. My criteria are:

1. Location that Allows for Suburban Lifestyle (I'm married with two school-aged kids)
  2. Top Program in Quant Marketing
  3. Cost of Living that isn't Outrageous

I'm leaning towards Yale, Northwestern, U of MD, and Wash U so far.

Thanks! I'd appreciate any suggestions on schools to add to my list!

possible - Thank you for the suggestions. Cornell is definitely on my radar as well.

Honestly, I'm surprised to see Chicago on there. Hard to imagine a better program, but I wouldn't think that it would be conducive to family life. You're at Kellogg, right? What is your impression of life in Chicagoland with kids?

Also, I was under the impression that Duke was heavy on CB. Is their Quant pretty solid too?

Edited by PhD No Chance

U Chicago is south in Hyde Park. It feels "suburbany" to me, though it has a reputation for crime if you're in the wrong areas. Chicago, in general, is a great place to live. Unlike NYC, which just seems really big and too busy to me, Chicago is a big city with a comfortable feel. I wouldn't mind raising a family around here, but then I don't have kids, so who knows. As far as Duke goes, it is a fantastic CB program, but they also have good quant faculty (e.g., Carl Mela). The point is, it's a great school in the type of location you're looking for. Just look through the faculty and see if anything they're doing interests you. If you're interested in Bayesian stuff, you should really consider Ohio State because of Greg Allenby.

You should also broaden the caliber of schools you're looking at, as your stats are good but not stellar. They're similar to my stats 4 years ago and I got a lot of good offers, but I also had LORs that went a long way in helping my case. If you don't have that, you may have some trouble; the competition gets fiercer every year.

How far South are you willing to go? Duke and Emory have already been mentioned, but how about UT-Austin, UT-Dallas, and Rice? Just about everywhere in Texas has low cost of living and I'm sure is great for a family. Maybe even UNC or U of Houston...
  • Like 1

How far South are you willing to go? Duke and Emory have already been mentioned, but how about UT-Austin, UT-Dallas, and Rice? Just about everywhere in Texas has low cost of living and I'm sure is great for a family. Maybe even UNC or U of Houston...

efh - Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I don't have any issue with living in the South. The only thing is that I'm trying to stick to more highly-regarded (say Top 10) programs in Quant Marketing. It's not a great strategy, but I need to be able to justify making this big of a change with kids, if that makes sense.

Sorry for not being more precise in the original post.

Best wishes,

No Chance

I respect the desire to aim high. But note that "top 10" isn't a defined thing (and you already understand that prestige of a university isn't an excellent indicator). You get to define that yourself. So what are the top 10 schools doing the research you want to do too? Clearly that's the "top 10", and 10 applications seems like a reasonable amount. So if you don't limit yourself to other people's conception of the "top 10", you do have a chance!

(Also, boo negativity.)

100% does not make sense.

Every program is going to land you a six figure income; so why be a pretentious donkey about it?

I mean I agree with you, but perhaps post with more respect? Calling him a pretentious donkey about it won't help him make a wiser choice.

I mean I agree with you, but perhaps post with more respect? Calling him a pretentious donkey about it won't help him make a wiser choice.

I totally get what you're saying: I just figured the guy with the funny/self-deprecating user name was up for some good-humored ribbing :devil: