Urch Forums

Accounting PhD Admissions - Effect of accounting firm size on admission

chuck

Long time reader, first time poster here. Lots of great information on accounting PhD's in this forum, so thanks to all contributors. Thought I'd ask a question I haven't yet seen. I am considering pursuing a PhD in accounting. I currently work as a tax associate at a local but reputable CPA firm with about 60 accountants. I noticed that many current accounting PhD students come from big 4. All things equal, how detrimental is it to my application that my experience is from a smaller firm, rather than big 4 or a national firm?

Long time reader, first time poster here. Lots of great information on accounting PhD's in this forum, so thanks to all contributors. Thought I'd ask a question I haven't yet seen. I am considering pursuing a PhD in accounting. I currently work as a tax associate at a local but reputable CPA firm with about 60 accountants. I noticed that many current accounting PhD students come from big 4. All things equal, how detrimental is it to my application that my experience is from a smaller firm, rather than big 4 or a national firm?

I think the causal arrow goes the other way. That is, people with good enough GMAT scores and high enough UGGPAs that are good enough for Ph.D. programs are often the same that are good enough for big-4 accounting.

Just to echo the sentiments of others, I think it will have very little to no bearing on whether you are admitted to a program or not.

The big 4 firms are by far the largest accounting employers as well, so we would expect that they would make up a larger portion of the work experience for accounting doctoral students.

However, I worked at a specialty tax firm with 5 people, and I know many other current accounting PhD students who did not work for the Big 4. And I do not think it impacted any of us in terms of admissions.