Urch Forums

Operations Applicant Profiles

tm_associate

This thread is designed as a consolidation of successful PhD applicants in the operations concentration. The moderators have closed this thread to limit the unrelated discussion. As future applicants share their profiles, they will be added to this thread. Please respect their privacy and be thankful that successful applicants are willing to share their profiles with the community.

Thanks.

Discipline: Operations Management

Admission Year:Fall 2014

Test Used for Admittance: GRE and TOEFL

Test Scores: Quant 170 (98%) Verbal 153 (58%) AW 4.5 (78) , TOEFL 117

Undergrad GPA: 8.86/10 ( Top 15 percent)

Graduate GPA: ---

LORs: 3 Strong Academic References (all profs from my institution)

Industry Experience: 2 Month Internship in Data Analytics at American Express

Research Experience: Nil

Teaching Experience: TA for undergraduate course in Mechanical Engineering

Range of Schools Applied: 4 in Top 10, 3 in Top 20

Total Schools Applied To: 7

Total Offers Given: Interviewed by 3 and Accepted in all these 3 (1 from Top 10 and 2 from Top 20). Rejected by 4.

Final Remarks: Things I would have done differently - 1. Applied to more good schools. I had no idea about a lot of good schools until later. 2. Should have maintained my Undergrad GPA above 9.5. 3. Should have started earlier... believe it or not.. I began applying, researching about schools, etc. only in September... I decided on a PhD only then...

that's it... It was actually a smooth ride for me this season, as my expectations were very low. I expected to get admission only from one university (the least ranked in my list).. but instead I got calls from three (including rank 4 in my list)...

I have no clue about research, really.. I don't have any idea what are the areas of research available..All I know is that I am good at mathematical modelling.. and data analysis... and I was always honest about all these in my interviews, and the profs liked that. I guess they were looking for smart, motivated people. So be honest.. it also helps them in gauging the fit between the university and you. This approach eliminated the "research fit" criteria.. as I was open-minded, and could fit into any area.

• 3 weeks later...

Discipline: Operations Management and Marketing (Quant)

Notes: I started off with OM. But as I read more papers for each application, I realized that marketing was probably a better fit. So, I applied to 8 OM and 2 marketing programs.

Admission Year: 2014

Test Used for Admittance: GMAT

Test Scores: 740 (97%) 51Q (97%) 41V (89%) 5.5W

Undergrad GPA: 8.1/10

Graduate GPA: 3.7

Industry Experience: NONE

Range of Schools Applied: 1 top 5, 5 top 15, 2 in top 25 + 2 top 50 (?) in marketing (it was towards the end of the application process. So, I looked at the profs I wanted to work with and not at the ranking)

Total Schools Applied To: 4 acceptances in OM programs, 1 acceptance in Marketing program. Withdrew from other schools.Final Remarks:I wish I had started to read research papers earlier. I started my SOP in July but waited until October to customize it for each university. Had I read published work earlier, I might have had the chance to apply to more marketing programs. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out :)For applicants with no work experience, I would suggest being vocal about your excitement to pursue research, especially if you have no or little idea about the research area you want to work in. Good luck!

• 1 year later...

Admission Year: 2015

Test Used for Admittance: GRE

Test Scores: 329 , 167 Quant (94%ile), 162 (89%ile), 4 AWA (56 %ile)

Undergrad GPA: 3.4

Graduate GPA: 3.3

Industry Experience: 2 years / Automotive Manufacturing

Research Experience: Research projects during master's studies and thesis work. The application process necessitated applying before undertaking thesis work (Jan-July), I had discussions with my supervisor and undertook a mini-thesis, both to acclimatize myself and boost my profile.

Concentration Applied to: Operations Management

Range of Schools Applied: top 20

Total Schools Applied To: 12; interviews 3; 5 rejected; 4 withdrawn

Final Remarks: Extremely thankful to the Urch community and especially YaSvoboden , tm_associate ,XanthusARES and rsaylors. Going through the forum, past and continuing, preserved my sanity and gave me perspective. I will be here for next fall sweating and hopefully give back to this amazing community.