Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for PHD in Strategy or Marketing

sandesh1983

Hello Friends,

I am from India and below are the required details. Requesting you to check and give a feedback. Thanking you in Advance.

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GMAT Yet to Appear but i am Confident of Scoring between minimum 600 to 660 Points i.e between 70 to 80 % percentile.

Undegrad GPA: 04 ,Engineering in Production From India

Graduate GPA: 04 ,MBA in Marketing From India

Research Experience: 0

Teaching Experience: 01

Articles,Whitepapers Published related to strategy & Marketing- 08 Nos

Work Experience:

11.5 Years in Oil & Gas,Power & Automobile Sector in functions like B2B Sales & Marketing,Strategy & Supply Chain.also from last 9 months self employed, entrepreneur.

Concentration Applying to: PHD in Strategy, Entrepreneurship or Marketing.

Number of programs planned to apply to: 5 to 10.

Dream Schools: Rank Between 50th to 150 th Fully funded in English language anywhere in the world.

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?

My rick works experience has made me inclined to carry out research work, proof is my original work articles published.

PHD will help me understand, study how to carry out research & other PHD subjects under guidance of expert faculty, subsequently to be eligible as a faculty to teach management subjects & also to carry out research related to Strategy by working closely with the industry specially Small Scale Industry.

Questions or concerns you have about your profile? Yes

Yes i have a very strong statement of purpose & also will get strong letter of recommendation from my Faculty & Industry professionals

Any additional specific questions you may have: Yes

Pls provide 3-4 colleges names ? which i can target and improve my chances of getting admitted considering my above profile & gmat score.

Thanking you in Advance.

Regards,

Sandesh Musale

600-660 GMAT is too low. My school is ranked around 50th, and the GMAT scores are still usually well over 700.

Your motivation to do a PhD is too generic, and too close to industry. I can't see how you can have a strong statement of purpose, if that's you motivation.

Letters of recommendation from industry professionals are usually not recommended.

No one can give you a list of college names to apply, this is something you must research yourself. The choice of schools depends on several factors, especially research fit. And you didn't even state your research interests.

Dear Brazilian PHD,

Thanks for the reply.

Note i am looking at College ranked around 75th to 125th fully funded any where in the world. and i am confident i can get close to 700 to 720 i.e 90 %th percentile.

Coming to recommendation in the original post i have said i will get strong recommendation also from Faculty.

Research Area - Improvement of Performance in terms of Higher Sales,market share, productivity & Efficiency which may be related to business strategy,Pricing or optimization of one of the 4 P's of marketing in Small Scale Manufacturer of Engg Equipments,Industrial goods which is a back bone of any Economy & one of the big engine of employment generation in any part of the world !

The research area may sound generic but i have topics to do research which will be refined & more specific once i get into PHD with the guidance of my PHD Faculty.

Exactly my research is close to industry because my ultimate aim is to improve Small Scale Industry which includes the complete value chain right from Supply Chain to Operations to Sales & Marketing by leveraging my 12 years of works experience ,make use of my engineering degree,MBA degree & of course a PHD.

Below is my linkedin Profile link for more details.

http://linkedin.com/in/smm1983

Regards,

Sandesh Musale

Ok, 700-720 GMAT sounds much better.

Well, if want to keep your research interests generic like that, it's your choice. But you are taking a HUGE risk, in my opinion. Don't expect the PhD faculty to tell you what your interests are, this is up to you and typically you are expected to have a very good answer for that BEFORE you apply (not after you are accepted). In my opinion, research interests like that will make your application much weaker.

Also, it's going to be much harder to find the appropriate school to apply. Since your interests are too generic, I guess almost 100% of schools will seem a good fit.

And you gotta remember that a PhD is focused on academic research. The more you mention industry, the worse you look to many schools. They want people passionate about academia, not industry. Professors often don't want to waste time teaching academic research to someone who is actually interested in the industry. I have about 20 years of work experience, but that's almost irrelevant here.