Urch Forums

Pitt or UCSB Econ

metaleddie

This is actually my first thread here. I received econ phd offers from pitt and ucsb econ. And I have to make a decision where to go. I hope dear tmers could give me some suggestions:)

My interests lie in exp econ, but more close to game theory and mechanism design.I know Pitt's exp econ is good, but it's more like a tradition in the dept.As I contacted a senior professor in the dept, he said exp is the strength of the dept, but as the economy recovers, they are going to input more in econometrics. A plus for pitt is the cross-registration program and close contact with cmu. My concern is whether pitt will decrease its efforts in exp econ.

UCSB also gives me a big offer. The dept is young and booming very quickly. I found that ucsb is putting great efforts to boom their exp and behaviral econ from some tmers' thread on ucsb visit. Actually they want to make exp a recognizable brand of the dept.

Does any tmer have opinions about the two schools?

I'm 75% sure I'm headed to UCSB. My main research interests are in environment/resource econ, but I intend on picking up a second field of exp/behavioral--they seem to be pumping some money into that department and we would definitely be the benefactors of that. I do not know much about Pitt, but I know SB is beautiful with much better weather than Pittsburgh. The econ department has some heavy hitters in a broad range of fields (macro, labor, exp, public, environment) and is well known as a quality research

university. Cost of living in SB is very high. Think $750-1000/mo for housing and discount your stipend accordingly. I've heard that the 16.6k TA stipend is manageable, though.

I'm planning on getting a lot more information about the program from profs/students in the next week or so, and I'll be sure to share. If you hear anything more concrete about the exp/behavioral dept, let me know!

To further what I said earlier:

I spoke to UCSB's department chair on the phone earlier, and he said that they made offers to bring in three new faculty members for experimental/behavioral econ, but all three turned the offer down. They plan on making offers similar to those next year with the simple intent to bolster the exp/bhvrl field at UCSB. If you attend, there will be more faculty specializing in exp by the time you (and I) start doing research.

Hope this helps. My vote is UCSB!

I don't necessarily think experimental econ is on its way out here. The experimental econ lab is a great asset to the university, and I know of a lot of ongoing work by some notable professors. SB is tempting due to the location, but I can say firsthand that Pitt is an exciting place to be.

I looked at the placement of UCSB awhile back and remember thinking that there wasnt really a good academic placement??? I could be wrong, and the dept's placement may improve if it is up and coming, but that (along with high cost of living in CA) kept me from applying there. I didnt apply to Pitt mainly b/c they dont offer IO, but the city seemed pretty cool from the very brief time I visited Pittsburgh.

On another note, I think the big experimental guy at Pitt does experimental macro.

Thanks.

Actually pitt gives me fellowship=18000 first year

And ucsb gives me ta+stipend=21000 first year

The following years require ta or ra both in pitt and ucsb.

Actually I've contacted John Duffy who's doing exp econ in pitt. And we have nice communication. He encourages me to go to pitt,saying PEEL will continue to be developed.

Another piece of information for ucsb is that they have Gary Charles this year who's successful in the field.

I think one thing that may persuade myself into pitt is the fellowship without ta in the first year, which means I can focus on the grad study instead of performing other teaching task.

I'm 75% sure I'm headed to UCSB. My main research interests are in environment/resource econ, but I intend on picking up a second field of exp/behavioral--they seem to be pumping some money into that department and we would definitely be the benefactors of that. I do not know much about Pitt, but I know SB is beautiful with much better weather than Pittsburgh. The econ department has some heavy hitters in a broad range of fields (macro, labor, exp, public, environment) and is well known as a quality research

university. Cost of living in SB is very high. Think $750-1000/mo for housing and discount your stipend accordingly. I've heard that the 16.6k TA stipend is manageable, though.

I'm planning on getting a lot more information about the program from profs/students in the next week or so, and I'll be sure to share. If you hear anything more concrete about the exp/behavioral dept, let me know!

Surely I would be glad to hear that.sb's weather is gorgeous, may be I could go there during the summer and winter session because my sister's there.

]

Actually pitt gives me fellowship=18000 first year

And ucsb gives me ta+stipend=21000 first year

The following years require ta or ra both in pitt and ucsb.

Just keep in mind that 21k in SB is less than/equal to 18k in Pitt in real terms. Better placements, money and no first year work requirement make Pitt a little more attractive in my eyes.

I'm considering location A LOT in my decision, and SB trumps many schools. Pittsburgh definitely has its perks as a city too--I know people who love it there, though I cannot personally testify.

Pitt's past top placements look very good (Washington State, Virginia Tech, University of Toronto, University of Virginia, etc).

Don't forget Queen's U, Carnegie Mellon, and U Minnesota. I wouldn't count the Virginia Tech placement though, because that was visiting.

Wow. Pitt has some great placements.

To put in perspective, some of UCSB's recent academic placements:

Eastern Conn State, U Copenhagen, Occidental College, Colo State-Fullerton, Pomona College, Johns Hopkins, U Hawaii, Montana State, UC Davis.

I don't think UCSB can compete placement-wise with Pitt.

Johns Hopkins and UC Davis are good placements.

To be fair, the Davis placement was in their Dept of Env. Science and Policy, not Econ or ARE. Still a solid placement, though.

UCSB does have a pretty good record of non-academic placements too, if you're into that kinda thing.