Urch Forums

Review of Columbia's MA Statistics Program?

Schrodinger

Can someone who is currently enrolled in or graduated from the MA Statistics degree at Columbia give a short review of the program?

I'm thinking of applying to it, but I've read some conflicting stuff here about the program. Is it true that there is no thesis/research paper required? If not, will they allow students to do a research paper? Are the professors generally ambivalent towards MA students? How is the student atmosphere? How were admissions? I've read that they're pretty much willing to admit anyone (with the minimum requirements) who has the $$.

Would you recommend this program to someone who plans on pursuing a PhD in the future?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not in the program, so I can't comment on their situation, but I did see that they allow you take econometrics and game theory classes as part of their list of approved electives.

The Masters in quantitative methods in social science allows you to take Micro and Macro in addition to the others.

I can't really comment on the atmosphere or admissions standards, I'm guessing you got information from the thread last year about the program.

If that's the case, you can consider the quantitative masters, since there's more flexibility, and with an econ concentration, you do a master's thesis in addition to taking first year classes.

I don't know about placements or anything. But it's Columbia, how bad could the placements be :) I think either track should help in PhD preparation, assuming you do well and beef up your math/stats coursework.

I did not attend that program. However, I went to Columbia for undergrad, and knew some grad students. I had the impression that due to Columbia's proximity to Wall Street, many students in the Stat MA program are aiming for banking quant jobs or other industry jobs, rather than to prepare for a PhD program.

I knew someone in Columbia's QMSS program (referenced by the previous poster) who was aiming for a PhD in Econ. She was happy with the program and spent a lot of time researching for her MA thesis.