Urch Forums

Northwestern PhD program

sargeras23

You should ask the Director of Graduate Studies to put you in touch with a handful of graduate students who are at different points in the program, ideally who work in your broad area of interest. Then set up times to talk with them. I'm the DGS at my institution and I put every prospective student in touch with current students. This is the only was to understand the atmosphere, what students like, don't like, what they didn't expect, etc.

BTW, congratulations on getting in to NU (not NW) :)

Thank you for the kind answer! Is attempting to contact PhD students from the contact list on the website via email regarded as acceptable or impertinent?

I wouldn't want to bother the DGS with this, and I have already asked this question in the correspondence that I have had with the staff, but they have overlooked it several times while answering others. If it is inappropriate, I will definitely write to the DGS, as you have kindly suggested.

Thank you again! I always seem to forget as NW sounds just a bit more natural. I will keep this in mind! :)