Urch Forums

2-year pre-doc after Masters?

ninacg

Hello everyone,

I got an offer for an econ-finance 2 year pre-doc starting this fall. I am finishing my master's now from a (very?) good European university with good but not outstanding grades. I have both RA and TA experience and a couple of publications from my time as an RA. I was thinking of applying to Econ PhDs next year and work as predoc/full time RA while applying.

I think I would get very good recommendations and like the place and profs, but is it worth waiting two years, considering I already have a master's and RA experience? At the same time I have no other offers so I don't know whether I am confident enough to decline. Any thoughts?

Definitely worth it IMO. I know a lot of people who went from European masters to good predocs, and were then admitted to top PhD programs. The predoc experience and associated LOR will really open up your options for PhD admissions. If you're just finishing your masters, I'm guessing you won't be much older than 27 in two years. The opportunity cost of a 2-year predoc should not be a concern.

Definitely worth it IMO. I know a lot of people who went from European masters to good predocs, and were then admitted to top PhD programs. The predoc experience and associated LOR will really open up your options for PhD admissions. If you're just finishing your masters, I'm guessing you won't be much older than 27 in two years. The opportunity cost of a 2-year predoc should not be a concern.

Thank you! I did indeed end up taking the offer, so this makes me feel better. I will actually be 26 in two years, but ageing anxiety is definitely a thing.