Urch Forums

Got Admission in FIT

Guest Mr. Mahanthapa

Guest Mr. Mahanthapa

Dear Friends,

I have been able to secure admission in Florida Institute of Technology for MS in Com Sc. Can some one tell me how's the university? I am yet to receive the decision from CSU Hayward. I am desparately waiting for the decision but i don't know why is it taking that long.

Guest Mr. Mahanthapa

Dear Shri,

Thankx for your reply.Actually at my place I do not have frequent access to internet due to which I am not able to post my replies very soon. I hope you can understand.I have few queries:

1. If I join FIT are there any prospects that I would get some scholarship,RA etc ?

2. If I pursue my MS in CS from FIT what would be my chances of getting a job keeping in mind the Economic slowdown as well as not so good reputation of FIT.

I have also applied for MSCS in USC,Los Angeles.I know it would be a tough fight.SO keeping my fingers crossed.I would really appreciate If you would give me some suggestions regarding the funding of my tuition fee in U.S.

Dear Erin,

You too please suggest me something where should I go ? Your suggestions would be extremely helpful to me.

Ok, about RAs and TAs, the situation in general is very bleak due to the ripple effects of the economy (Since companies dont have money, as part of their cost cutting measures, the first thing they did was to stop sponsoring research projects in the Univs). So I dont know whether u'll get one or not. U shud actually contact students who are already at FIT to find out about the situation. I am sure there'll be an ISA (Indian Student Association) committe who will be glad to provide u with all the necessary info.

As far as job scenario, be prepared for the worst and it doesn't have to be bcoz of the low rank of ur Univ. I know of a very good company which interviewed Stanford and MIT grads for QA position and after grilling them with all sorts of algorithms and data structure questions, they offered 1 out of 10 a QA position (just running test cases developed by someone else on a program developed by yet another developer). This is firsthand info bcoz my husband was one among the interview panel members for his company.....CSU hayward is also no better in ranking than FIT and at CSU Hayward, apparently u dont get any assistantship

HTH

-Sri.

Originally posted by gupta_v

Dear Erin,

You too please suggest me something where should I go ? Your suggestions would be extremely helpful to me.

To be honest, I think Sri knows a lot more about this than I do. I read her advice to you, and it sounds pretty solid.

Out here, the CSU's aren't too highly regarded. I'm not saying they're bad schools, in fact some of the schools have excellent programs in certain areas, but they're pretty easy to get into.

And I don't know anything about FIT. In fact, when I first read the title of your post, I thought you might be referring to the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, as I've had a few students go there in the past few years.

Anyway, as I said, Sri's advice sounds great. I think you should do what she suggested. :)