Urch Forums

Ohio State vs Iowa State vs University of Utah

Hi guys,

I have admits from Ohio State Universty, University of Utah and Iowa State University. Please help me in choosing one considering the overall reputation. Here are my views:

OSU

Aid is tough to get but chances are non-zero. I guess this is the situation in most of the universities. They have campus fairs but not many companies come. Anyway, we can always apply online. Profs are from very good universities. Most expensive of my lot. Also, they have a quarter system. How hectic can this get ? Will there be less emphasis per subject considering that there will be less time ?

Iowa State

Aid is not promised in first year, which was mentioned in the admission letter. Two profs from my area of interest (compilers) have left the university last year. There is just one prof left now. Not a good sign. Even they have campus fairs. Courses for my area of interest are good. But not sure if all of them will be offered considering that there are not many left who can teach them.

University of Utah

Can get some kind of aid here, but getting RA is tough. At $25k per year, its much cheaper than Iowa and OSU. No campus fairs but students have managed to get good jobs by applying online. But reputation wise, OSU > Utah.

You are talking about an MS degree, right?

Historically, at TheGradCafe, a significant percentage of MS admits to University of Utah got a TA offer with their admit. So Utah does seem good for getting a TA position after the first semester.

I wouldn't worry as much about reputation if you want to work in industry and aren't applying to Google. And, for all I know, Google doesn't recruit from OSU anyway.

Yup, MS in CS. You are right. I have seen Utah admits with aid this year. I would like to work at Google :)

But do they really give importance to university reputation ? Most of the companies just look at GPA right ? Google does not do that ?

But why doesnt Utah have campus fairs ? Havent they tried conducting them or are companies not interested in coming to Utah ?

Most of the companies just look at GPA right ? Google does not do that ?

I wish I knew more about college recruiting.

Certainly, when it comes to recruitment for full-time jobs, where you interned during the summer (Microsoft vs. no-name company located near campus) can become more important than where you went to school or what courses you took or what your GPA was.

For comparision with a higher ranking school, see:

mse-graduates (UPenn)

So even the people who went to UPenn for their masters aren't working for Google. Google does recruit at UPenn, but my guess is that they mostly hire PhDs from there.

Regarding Google's criteria, I assume they are mostly looking for fluid intelligence, and certainly one way to guesstimate about that is to see if a person is coming from Berkeley vs. OSU. And since Google gets over 1 million applications a year, it's important to stand out in any way possible.

btw, more about Google:

http://www.ere.net/articles/printer.asp?d=H&CID=%7B95872408-130C-40EC-8AD8-B3FF0975D145%7D

Students

Not importantly, one metric I use is to see where Intel hires more people:

Jobs at Intel - United States, Student Center, Campus Page

In this case, Utah and ISU are not on Intel's list, but that may not mean much since Intel is obviously more concerned with computer architecture than other aspects of computer science.

BTW, about GPA:

I find that graduate students often place too much emphasis on their grades...I would like to remind you that what you learn is more important than what grade you get. Future employers may ask what courses you took, but rarely do they ask MS and PhD students about what grades they received.

http://www.slatton.ece.ufl.edu/Teaching/2008Sprg/Syllabus_2008.pdf