Urch Forums

The primary responsibility of citizens is to obey their nation’s civil and criminal l

The primary responsibility of citizens is to obey their nation’s civil and criminal laws.

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

Laws are concerned with establishing social order and protecting the community as a whole. It gives us set of orders for peace, safe and orderly living. It is essential for every citizen to obey the civil and criminal laws enforced by the nation. I completely agree with the author. I would like to give my views with examples to support my stance.

First, let us take income-tax as an example, if every citizen pays income-tax properly then government can raise its funds and use the funds for the citizen’s benefits, if people fails pay then it will indirectly affect the citizens itself. So people should be bound to the laws set up by the government for the orderly living.

Second, we see many people drive their vehicles while talking on mobiles. Not only these people will put their lives in danger but also they will be dangerous to many other riders. So if everybody in the society takes responsibility to obey the laws then everybody in this society will be safe and secured and lead their lives peacefully.

Third, we heard of many cases of drug abusing, people who takes drugs can go for any extent to get it. For example to buy those drugs they need to pay money and if the person doesn’t have money with him will try to steal or even he will threat somebody to get the money and this will lead to crime. A Person who takes drugs not only affects his life but also he will be threat to the society.

Finally, the above examples clearly show that the every citizen should obey the laws set by the nation to lead safe and hygienic life otherwise it will be affect not only the people but society as a whole.

I had written a detailed critique but the system rebooted and I lost my post !! This is a somewhat shorter version.

Hi Praveen,

Even though I have only recently begun working on AWA, i will try my best to meaningfully critique your essay.

Overall it is a fair attempt but I will focus more on areas of improvement as I personally find them slightly more helpful. Finally, please remember I am also a beginner like you, and so my critique may be as flawed as my own essays are !

You emphatically agree with the author’s stance, which comes across clearly in your first few sentences. It is a good opening paragraph. The first example also connects. However, I am not clear on how the second and third examples are relevant. There are also some grammatical errors and repetitive phrases, such as So if everybody in the society takes responsibility to obey the laws then everybody in this society will be safe and secured and lead their lives peacefully .

Hope this is of some help. All the very best for GMAT !

• 8 months later...

Please Comment on this ?

The author states that “ The primary responsibility of citizens is to obey nation’s civil and criminal Law”. I whole heartedly agree with this statement. Practicing the laws and rules laid by the government is beneficial for the entire nation. After all the Laws are made for creating a disciplined society and are for the benefits for the entire nation

Firstly, Citizens abiding the civil and criminal laws of the country actively contribute to development of the nation by supporting the government and it’s policies. It helps the government and nation achieve its short term and long terms goals. Paying Income tax is a classic example. If very citizen pays income-tax , the n it would help the government in raising funds and those funds will be used generating facilities like good school, good roads for the people.

Secondly, Obeying laws help in creating a disciplined society which is a critical factor in the success of every society and nation as a whole.For E.g. Penalizing people smoking at public places decreases the pollution. In addition it also discourages people to smoke. Furthermore the health hazard due to smoke which other people near to a smoker are controlled.

However, it is possible to argue that blindly following the laws can lead to a stagnant society. For E.g Denial of Right to speech. When Socrates proposed an idea about Earth orbiting around Sun, he was imprisoned since he defied the popular belief. He was considered as a criminal who stood against the Government. Blindly following the rules in such cases where the rules are suppressing essential acts like freedom to speech, freedom to write etc could ultimately cause damage to the society and nation as a whole.

In conclusion, though it is essential that citizens should abide to laws made by government, it is also essential that they should be well thought rather than accepted blindly.