Urch Forums

classical music

A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed the effects of music on human emotions. Each of the 200 participants attended at least 1 two-hour concert of classical music per week over the course of 12 weeks of their spring semester. At the end of the experiment, all of the students filled out a questionnaire assessing their emotional state. Based on the results of the questionnaires, all of the 10 students who attended the greatest number of concerts reported lower stress levels and higher satisfaction with their lives. Also, most of the 20 students who attended the fewest number of concerts reported below-average levels of emotional comfort.

Which of the following must be true based on the evidence presented above?

A Most of the 200 participants improved their emotional state and lowered their stress levels.

B During each week of the experiment, the participants spent at least 2 hours less on their academic work as a result of concert attendance.

C Listening to classical music for at least 2 hours per week improves the emotional well-being of the majority of young adults.

D More than 6 participants attended at least 14 concerts during the course of the experiment.

E At least some of the students participated in the study in order to gain free access to classical concerts.

classical music A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed the effects of music on human emotions. Each of the 200 participants attended at least 1 two-hour concert of classical music per week over the course of 12 weeks of their spring semester. At the end of the experiment, all of the students filled out a questionnaire assessing their emotional state. Based on the results of the questionnaires, all of the 10 students who attended the greatest number of concerts reported lower stress levels and higher satisfaction with their lives. Also, most of the 20 students who attended the fewest number of concerts reported below-average levels of emotional comfort.

Which of the following must be true based on the evidence presented above?

This is a weird question. I basically used process of elimination to choose D. Then I proved. Now this might not be the best way but here's how.

I: The concerts were over a 12 week period

II: "Each of the 200 participants attended at least 1 two-hour concert of classical music per week" This means that there were more than than 1 classical musical concert a week. Let's just say there were 2. Now we have 24 concerts for the entire semester.

III:"all of the 10 students who attended the greatest number of concerts reported lower stress levels" What this tells you is that 10 students attended more than 1 concert a week. If they attended just one more it would be 13, but I'm assuming they attended 2-4 more. Sometimes you have to assume just so long as it not a stretch.

Therefore, this ten students attended 14 or more concerts. Which is D.

I know, I know this question is ridiculous. But when you see these kinds of horror shows, I think it's best to think out of the box.

What is the OA?

A Most of the 200 participants improved their emotional state and lowered their stress levels.

B During each week of the experiment, the participants spent at least 2 hours less on their academic work as a result of concert attendance.

C Listening to classical music for at least 2 hours per week improves the emotional well-being of the majority of young adults.

D More than 6 participants attended at least 14 concerts during the course of the experiment.

E At least some of the students participated in the study in order to gain free access to classical concerts.

This seems more of a mathematical question rather a CR question.

Here we were asked to divide students in (atleast) three groups. One with 12 sessions (consist of 20 students). One with 14 sessions (consist of 14 sessions). One with 13 sessions (consist of remaining students).

I got it wrong because I was not thinking from mathematical point of view. Well, will keep it in mind in forthcoming questions.

I changed form C to D, this is why:

If 20 partecipants-> fewest n° of Cons (that means 12) and 10 partecipants-> greatest n° of Cons, follows that should be a median, let's say that this median is 13 (the lowest median possible), simple consequence indicates that the greatest is at least 14.

So ten students follows 14 or more concerts -> "More than 6 participants attended at least 14 concerts during the course of the experiment."

Thanks to Aqueel and Jaybird to open my mind