Urch Forums

Practice for higher GMAT quant score

MagglioOrpwnez

Hi,

I took the GMAT in February '10 and did alright... 660 with 87th percentile in verbal and 62nd percentile in quantitative (42). I am looking to apply to a PhD Accounting program and would like to get this thing up to a 720 or so, ideally a 750.

Obviously, some of you will think this is impossible. However, my poor quant score must be due to poor timing... I took the test cold. I took the GRE after much preparation and after taking a dozen or so practice tests and got a perfect score of 800 on the quantitative section.

Has anyone else taken these two tests and been in a similar situation? What is the best way to up the GMAT score? I am planning on taking it again and just doing practice tests to prepare. Does anyone have any top books or prep tips they recommend?

I guess it is good to know for people taking both tests, but I certainly don't think that a 60-something percentile quant GMAT translates to an 800 on the GRE. My GRE prep was much more diligent.

But I think the deal breaker was the Quantitative Comparisons on the GRE instead of the Data Sufficiency on the GMAT. People who are Type A like me can waste WAY too much time solving the data sufficiency questions. For these questions, I always try to find the exact numerical answer to prove that my answer is correct. This is not the way to do it... although logically sound, takes too much time. On the GRE quant comparisons, one can look at the question and deduce an answer much faster than the data sufficiency in my opinion.

I was looking for someone who took both tests that might offer me insights for a higher GMAT score, as I would like to have a 700+ GMAT in my pocket if I need it in the near future.