Urch Forums

help!!

h(100) = (2^50)(50!) and is therefore a multiple of every integer from 1 through 50.

h(100) + 1, then, will be a multiple of no integer from 2 through 50. Therefore the least prime factor of h(100) + 1 has to be greater than 50. The answer is E.

h(100) + 1, then, will be a multiple of no integer from 2 through 50.

I have seen this question before. I have always wanted clarification on exactly why adding 1 to the product of 2^50(50!) makes all possible prime factors of this sum greater than 50. Can anyone elaborate with a detailed, broken down analysis?

For example, when I create the following mini-case, it seems that primes can exist within that sum:

consider the product of 2, 5, 7 = 70. Adding 1 to this = 71. 71 has primes of 5 and 13. So, 5 is still in the orginal number and does not neccessarily have to be greater than 71. What am I missing?

Thanks!

71 has primes of 5 and 13.
What does that mean ? ? ? ? ? 71 is a prime number and has no prime factors. I don't know what it means to say that 71 has primes of 5 and 13.

Consecutive integers can have no common factor greater than 1.

If n is a multiple of 2, n+1 is not a multiple of 2. The next multiple of 2 is n+2.

If n is a multiple of 3, n+1 is not a multiple of 3. The next multiple of 3 is n+3.

If n is a multiple of 4, n+1 is not a multiple of 4. The next multiple of 4 is n+4.

If n is a multiple of 5, n+1 is not a multiple of 5. The next multiple of 5 is n+5.

etc.

What does that mean ? ? ? ? ? 71 is a prime number and has no prime factors. I don't know what it means to say that 71 has primes of 5 and 13.

:smack: Bob! Sorry, I was thinking of a different number and got carried away! You are totally correct, and thank you for finally clarifing this problem!