Urch Forums

"Young polio victims learning " and "the ensemble was touted"

1. As part of their therapy, young polio victims learning to live with their disabilities were helped to practice falling during the 1950s, so that they could learn to fall without being hurt.

(A) As part of their therapy, young polio victims learning to live with their disabilities were helped to practice falling during the 1950s

(B) As part of their therapy, young polio victims learning to live during the 1950s with their disabilities were helped to practice falling

© Young polio victims learning to live during the 1950s with their disabilities were helped to practice falling as part of their therapy

(D) Young polio victims learning to live with their disabilities were helped to practice falling during the 1950s as part of their therapy

(E) During the 1950s, as part of their therapy, young polio victims learning to live with their disabilities were helped to practice falling

Here I had narrowed down to D and E and ended with 'D'. But correct answer is 'E'. Can anyone explain why D is wrong?

2. After this year’s record-shattering January performance in Madison Square Garden, the ensemble were touted as the country’s best new group in decades; no critic or reviewer had anything but praise for the young musicians.

(A) the ensemble were touted as the country’s

(B) the ensemble was touted as the country’s

© the country touted the ensemble like the

(D) touting the ensemble as the country’s

(E) they were touting the ensemble as the country’s

Here I nerrowed down to B and C. Then rejected B over C, because B uses passive voice and also, I thought "the country’s Best" may be wrong and it should be "The Best". Hence I chose C.

but correct answer is B. Can you please tell me why, C is wrong?

Young polio victims learning to live with their disabilities were helped to practice falling during the 1950s as part of their therapy
Victims were helped practice falling during 1950's ??

An event that happened during a particular time is correctly mentioned in E.

the country touted the ensemble like the

Performance was not of the country but of the ensemble. - misplaced modifier

In 1., option D changes the meaning of the sentence in saying "were helped to practice falling during the 1950s as part of their therapy". It appears as though to make them practice falling specifically in the 50s was a part of the therapy.

In 2.,

option c says,

"After this year’s record-shattering January performance in Madison Square Garden, the country .."

This is a modifier error..also

"touted the ensemble like the best new group in decades" is incorrect..

B is correct is saying "the country's best new group"..to say "the best new group in decades" would change the meaning again, as it implies that this was the best new group in the world.