Urch Forums

may vs might, can vs could, will vs would

dsk02

may(may or may not)-possible or may be not possible.

might- a duller versions of may

can/could

can-ablility

could- duller version of could.

Will- and would

Would duller version of will

Should-obligation, has to happen(could be a rule, some lawful thning, surely expecte)

I did some research in batrebly which ppl might find useful:

1. May versus Might

may and might. It may rain. It might rain. What’s the difference? Just as could is the past tense of can, might is the past tense of may: We thought we might win the tournament. But might can also be used as a substitute for may to show diminished possibility

2. Can versus May

can and may. Can I go to the bathroom? Nearly every child has asked this question only to be corrected with You mean, May I go to the bathroom? Generations of teachers have insisted that can should be used only to express the capacity to do something and that may must be used to express permission

3. Can versus could

Could is duller version of can (Just like may)

4. Would versus Should

You can use either should and would in the first person to express the future from the point of view of the past but keep in mind that should sounds more formal.

In the second and third persons, however, you only use would.

when only should is correct. To express duty or obligation, you use should as the equivalent of ought to: I (or you or he) should go.

when only would is correct. You use would (and not should) to express willingness or promise (I agreed that I would do it) and to express habitual action in the past (We would walk along the canal at night).

can Vs. May

Can is the physical capability of doing something

May is seeking permission.

so when someone says "can i ask you a question" i always say - "i dont know, can you?"....can i ask you a question implies - am i physically capable of asking you a question ?

Can Vs Could. Could is not a duller version of can , Could is a more polite version of can -

can you pass me the book?

could you pass me the book?