Urch Forums

what is 1 2.1 undergraduate degree or equivalent?

edward_vo_87

Hi Everyone, I am currently doing bachelor of commerce, majoring in Economics at University of Melbourne. Next year will be my third year study here. I am considering doing Master in economics at LSE or Cambridge University. I am not sure what they mean a good 2.1 undergraduate degree or equivalent to get in. Is it necessary a 4 year honour degree with upper second class or just simply a good result from 3rd year? In my opinion, Phd requires an honour degree, but Master requires a 3 year undergraduate degree. Is it true?

With regard to letters of references, must they be written by professors or tutors or both?

Many thanks for your help

For MSc admission in UK three year degree will be sufficient. 2.1 is upper second class honours atleast 65% in your undergraduate degree. Since you are targetting very good schools just a undergrad degree will not suffice.

If grading system at your university is GPA then 3.0/4.0 is usually required.

As far as LORs are concerned they must ideally be written by professors who taught you courses relavent to the target program.

I Hope this helps, good luck:tup:

2:1 is 60% and above, not 65%, however it is difficult to translate that between grading systems, as for example a 60% in the US system would be a lot less well regarded than in the UK. Try asking the undergraduate administration at your university whether they could convert your mark to a UK equivalent. Also look around the Cambridge website as they might have a rough guide.

The idea is that you apply to the school during your final year undergrad, and your progress up to that point should indicate what your final degree mark will be like. Your supervisor should also be able to give an estimated final degree mark. This is what they are referring to when they talk about a "good 2:1", you don't need to actually have completed the degree to apply.