Urch Forums

the worth of the cs subject test

varun

hi guys, I am an engineering student from India, and have given my gre general test getting a score of 1510. I am planning to major in computer science so I was wondering about the value of giving the subject test? Is it really worth giving cause there is harldy any time to prepare for it by Nov when it is held in India? will it enhance my chances of getting admission to a good graduate school for computer scince or can I get into a good school anywayi.e. witnout the cs subject test?

Yes, it will. The subject test is a leveling test, and is especially important if you're bachelors are not from a known university where they know exactly the curriculum. I've heard many complaints about students who did not take the test and strongly regret not taking it. It is also extremely important to get scholarship (fellowship, RA and TA). Some top schools also REQUIRE the subject test.

On the other hand, it is pretty subjective... You have to know which schools are you applying to and then make sure you know if they require it or not. If they mention that is "recommended", that means that it is "required"... they will favor those who took it to better determine admissions and funding... for sure.