Urch Forums

Rescoring my Toefl 78 :-( ? Need 80

aerox11

hey guys,

unfortunately my toefl was not quiet good.

I have only 78 points.

Reading. 17 :-(

listening: 17 :-(

Speaking: 24

Writing: 20

Is it possible that I get 80 points with rescoring?

I think in reading and listening it is not possible to get more points.

but what do you think about the writing part?

Or is it better to safe the money and do the toefl again?

best regards

aerox11

The reading and listening are not scored by humans, so there is no possible rescoring of these 2 sections (every answer you gave was either correct or incorrect -- they are not open to interpretation or "fresh eyes/ears").

If you had the writing re-scored and you earned one more point of raw score -- such as a 4/5 on one of your essays rather than a 3/5 or maybe even a 3.5/5 -- I believe that would increase your scaled score in writing by at least 2 points, so you would reach your goal. However, the chance that your writing would be scored higher the 2nd time is probably less than 50/50.

The last time I heard, the re-scoring cost $60 (but it could have gone up). Also, if your score does change, I believe they refund that fee.

Basically, it cost 1/3 of retaking the entire test again. Personally, if I were very close (such as a 24 in speaking and needing a 26), then I would pay for the re-scoring. However, if I were any further away from my goal, then the chances of a successful re-scoring are greatly diminished and probably wouldn't be worth it.

In your shoes, I would probably go for it, but it's a decision you will have to make for yourself (based on factors such as budget, time, etc.)...

It seems about 50/50 from what I see on this forum. Good for you, your score is close. Bad: you need an overall score increase, not an increase on one section. So it is also possible to be restored LOWER. So you may get a writing of 21 or 22, but get your speaking lowered! Then your total score will still not reach 80. I do not mean to be negative, just want to point this out. And you are right, only speaking and writing are rescored.

But, it is only two points, so maybe you will make it!

Good luck,

Tino

you need to decide to either re score your speaking or writting or both... So if you will re score both sections then you will pay 2 re-scores. If I were you I would evaluate myself which one I did better Speaking? or Writing? so that you will just pay for one re score.

I think my speaking was quiet good.

i will not rescore it.

i will only rescore the writing.

Is it possible to get 2 points more in the writing or is this nearly impossible?

I checked my toefl account but i didn't find anything where i can rescore my test.

Can anybody help me?

hi aerox11

to rescore your toefl you have to fill a rescoring request form and fax it to ETS. you can find the form on their website

go to TOEFL, then SCORE and then select RESCORING SERVICES and you will see a PDF format of the form.

good luck to you

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I am a fresh member and I saw your hard work............... I am so interested in this website.... and also your wonderful score.........I am from Saudi Arabia and I decided to come to study overseas in Canada..............Actually, I've studied English for only one year and one month...........Fortunately, I have taken the Toefl(ibt) three times............I cannot believe that cuz my Englsih was totally under zero before I came to Canada and now I am taking such as an academic exam.

I am still improving my language eventhough I am brave to take this kind of challenging exam. Three times of taking the exam gives me a real encourage. I am a scholarship student and I must do this exam several times. My three toefl sdores are still not that high, but at least I did something great that many people cannot do in this short period. Later, I will tell you what are my three toefl(ibt) scores exactly and how my third score went up quickly and what kind of secret did I use on my last toefl exam....soon, I will share with you my emotion and experience about the Toefl(ibt)........:rolleyes::D;)

Hello guys,

I am jsut wondering about rescoring the Toefl(ibt) exam and I may do it because I have complaint about my speaking and writing section. I read the information in rescoring request form and I am worried about the point that If the rescore results in a change in your score (lower or higher), a revised score report will be provided to you and any previously designated score recipients. Can someone explain for me this point becasue I guess that they may make my revised score lower than my first score. Is that true guys and please let me know because I am still confused.

Thanks

Really, but how recsore can result in a lower score. I thank it is unfair or they cheat and play with feeling of the people. Could you please give me more example about how rescore can result in a lower score because I am afraid about that

Sahal

What example do you need? When you apply for a re-rescore, ETS sends your test to evaluation again. You are re-scored, "scored again". It may be higher, lower or the same.

My advice to everyone is to prepare for the test and get the score you need the first time! Personally I think rescoring is a waste of time, money and energy. Though some others think it can be useful.

Tino

Thanks for your advice. I undestood what do you mean exactly, but the point is why they may make my score lower. I guees it should be the same or higher. Let's imgaine that if they drop my socre after rescoring they are not qualified for marking my test or they were sleepy while evaluating my performane. I think if it is true they have no reputation and they had better cancel the idea of rescoring the test. I know ETS is a huge institution, which provides the variety of academic exams, but there is another side of the matter, which is making a huge of money from the students

Go through this forum and you will find a lot of complaints about ETS for sure. I agree that too many students give to much money to ETS. I have meet so many people that have taken the TOEFL 5, 10 even more times! Why? If you take TOEFL 2 or 3 times and cannot get the score you need, you need to do something more than just keep taking the test! Obviously you are not doing something correct. Instead of repeating that again and again and throwing your money to ETS, you should prepare properly and get the score you need.

This is my advice because I see it work: prepare properly, take the test, get the score you need, move on with your life.

Tino

Certainly, you are right. Prepare and practic are the successful key, but it is not as important as trusting yourself. I am still in the beginning and I've experienced the exam three times. I've learned the best lesson in my life, which trusting myself. First score was good, and second score was lower than the first one. I was going to give up totally, and I discussed the problem with myself and I found that I was so panic on my second exam and lost my control. I decided to take my third Toefl(ibt) exam and I promised to trust myself. I attended my third exam and I was so calm. Also, I trusted myself totally while doing my exam. Once I started to do reading section, I was dealing with the questions like a game. I kept going and rushing with the question. I did that to take the stress out. Finally, my third score went up rapidly, but it is still not that high. In general, I am so happy and not loser because I knew the secret. There is no way to succeed unless you trust yourself. Toefl(ibt) is designed to make fear and take out your confidence, so your confidence must be under control, otherwise you lose your knowledege and ability in four hours while doing the exam

Sahal

• 6 months later...
hey guys,

unfortunately my toefl was not quiet good.

I have only 78 points.

Reading. 17 :-(

listening: 17 :-(

Speaking: 24

Writing: 20

Is it possible that I get 80 points with rescoring?

I think in reading and listening it is not possible to get more points.

but what do you think about the writing part?

Or is it better to safe the money and do the toefl again?

aerox11

HI aerox

I have just got my toefl score. 78 but I actually need 79. I am thinking about rescoring it. Was your rescoring successfull? Just need one damn point ! But would like to rescore both writing and speaking parts just to make sure i will get that damn point....GRRRR!!! I gonna call it " THE 120 $ " ! This exam is driving me nuts!

How long did they take to send you the review/

Thank you!!!!

best regards

Hello guys,

I am jsut wondering about rescoring the Toefl(ibt) exam and I may do it because I have complaint about my speaking and writing section. I read the information in rescoring request form and I am worried about the point that If the rescore results in a change in your score (lower or higher), a revised score report will be provided to you and any previously designated score recipients. Can someone explain for me this point becasue I guess that they may make my revised score lower than my first score. Is that true guys and please let me know because I am still confused.

Thanks

HI aerox

I have just got my toefl score. 78 but I actually need 79. I am thinking about rescoring it. Was your rescoring successfull? Just need one damn point ! But would like to rescore both writing and speaking parts just to make sure i will get that damn point....GRRRR!!! I gonna call it " THE 120 $ point " ! This exam is driving me nuts!

How long did they take to send you the review/

Thank you!!!!

best regards

• 1 month later...