Urch Forums

how to go about getting volunteer work?

kefka95

I know this seems a bit off topic, but I know that many successful business school applicants have a good deal of experience with volunteer work. Since my undergrad degree is in music with a business minor, I feel my chances of getting any "real" work experience in the next few years is slim to none, so volunteering seems like an equally attractive alternative (obviously for reasons that go well beyond simply having a good resume).

I'm interested in doing some international volunteer work (Africa?), probably for some variety of NGO. The problem is, there are literally tens of thousands of groups out there! How do you find out what they do, whether or not you can work for them, what kind of workers they're looking for, whether they're a good group to work for, etc etc? Any help would be appreciated!

hi GMATbong ,

I too want some advice

I have been instrumental in starting a society for metntally retarded and poor kids

can i show some of my gaps as full time wrk thr(which more or less i am doing )

does it make sense to work there for a year

will that help

apart from that i have 3.5 years WE

kindly advise

well... yes and no. if its peace corp they know you are there for full time but if its just a society for mentally retarded and poor kids, they will start to wonder if you are doing that because you lost the job??? At least thats what I will think. And if I think this way, reader will probably think this way as well.

If you are special ed teacher (with cert.) then reader might buy it. or if you teach english oversea in japan, they will buy that as well. Just quitting the job and work full time look too suspcisiously like a layoff.

Thats gud suggestion infact .....

well actually i have international WE but that was kind of odd jobs as i didnt get any good job

so to cover few mnths WE gap i thought of putting society work as full time

But in any case ,i hope co founding that society is of any help (which i did )

what kind of community work is expected ?

I am so confused about all this

How can i cover those odd jobs abroad

one suggestion i got is that is that i dont mention the months in my CV

can free lancing be of any help ?

kindly advise

You can claim its free lancing but I think reader will have to give you some benefit of the doubt. If you are doing odd or contract jobs and doing free lancing in between, chances are readers will think you're filling in the gap.

cofounding the society will help. But now I am looking at your profile and have to say your biggest weakness is not ExtraCurr, it is the meat and butter piece which is your WE. Without a decent WE, blue-blooded bschool will be less likely to take you such as H/W. S might be more interested in you, however.

Ya i understand that ,well i not looking at Top tier schools neway

but cud u look at my profile as in CV ,it goes like this

1)2001- 2002 Teaching Assistant engineering college in India(After my engineering)

2)2002 - 2004 Lecturer in same college

3)2004 - 2005 Technical support in a small s/w development and s/w education comapny

4) 2005- tilldate Assitant manager in same company

This covers my gaps inbetween in when i travelled to UK

I am not putting society work as full time

kindly look at this now and give a sincere advice

I will be highly obliged

Thanks GMATbong

if i compile by work summary it goes like this

August 2001 - Dec 2003 Teaching assistant and lecturer

January 2004 - May 2004 Travel to UK

June 2004 - February 2005 Technical support

Feb 2005 - Oct 2005 Travel to UK ( odd jobs)

October 2005 - tilldate Assistant Manager

now advise do i mention odd jobs during travel in work summary

or skip the months part mentioning just years

plz guide regarding my profile

You probably should include the odd jobs since they will be wondering where were you during your time in UK.

In your application, I don't think you have a choice for NOT disclosuring in monthly term. Basically, its a drop down box in your MBA app

You can do what you wanted in your own resume but not in the MBA app. Before you just put whatever down in the app, schools do do background check after you get admitted - esp employment dates and title. (In US, they use the same agency - Kroll so if you get kicked out by one school, you get kicked out by others)