Urch Forums

Can a person like me who did undergrad in law pursue a PhD in Finance?

eugene10

Hi guys,

I just finished my MBA degree in the US (from a top40-50 b-school in the nation based on USnews rankings) and majored in finance and general management. I graduated with Beta Gamma Sigma (CGPA 3.95/4.0). My finance courses taken in my MBA program are fundamental finance (core component of MBA foundation classes), corporate finance, investment, financial derivatives, financial statements analysis, advanced corporate finance, case study in financial strategy and mergers & acquisitions. Also, as part of foundation classes, I took eco and stats in the fall semester of Year 1.

I worked for more than 8 years in total but none was finance-related. I am highly interested in finance and wanna change my career to pursue finance for the rest of my life. I realize that successful candidates have to be from maths/engineering/computer science background (or other science related fields), but my undergrad was majored in law. Due to system difference, my undergrad college didn't calculate a standard GPA. Based on my own calculation, it was equivalent to 2.7 something out of 4.0 (the calculation was done to apply for my MBA program).

My GMAT was taken in September,2007 with 700/92%,35v/75%,49q/89% and 5.0w.

LORs may not be strong enough.

Based on my profile, I was wondering whether I can pursue a finance PhD. If so, what schools should I apply for? Thank you very much.

Hi guys,

I just finished my MBA degree in the US (from a top40-50 b-school in the nation based on USnews rankings) and majored in finance and general management. I graduated with Beta Gamma Sigma (CGPA 3.95/4.0). My finance courses taken in my MBA program are fundamental finance (core component of MBA foundation classes), corporate finance, investment, financial derivatives, financial statements analysis, advanced corporate finance, case study in financial strategy and mergers & acquisitions. Also, as part of foundation classes, I took eco and stats in the fall semester of Year 1.

I worked for more than 8 years in total but none was finance-related. I am highly interested in finance and wanna change my career to pursue finance for the rest of my life. I realize that successful candidates have to be from maths/engineering/computer science background (or other science related fields), but my undergrad was majored in law. Due to system difference, my undergrad college didn't calculate a standard GPA. Based on my own calculation, it was equivalent to 2.7 something out of 4.0 (the calculation was done to apply for my MBA program).

My GMAT was taken in September,2007 with 700/92%,35v/75%,49q/89% and 5.0w.

LORs may not be strong enough.

Based on my profile, I was wondering whether I can pursue a finance PhD. If so, what schools should I apply for? Thank you very much.

Just browse forum more throughly and I am sure you will get the answer of your question. PhD finance admission is very competitive especially with financial aid. Second thing is that, MBA is definitely supportive but when it comes to PhD finance, AC try to find the chances of applicant's success in research program. They want to ensure that applicant has the enough research skills and other skills so he can really contribute to the body of Knowledge. Now within PhD finance there are several areas to conduct research but a right candidate knows in advance that what he is going to research and what are the requirements of successful completion of program. These things are important at the time when you are planning to apply for PhD finance program. Because as much you are prepared as your preparedness is reflected through application material you send for consideration before AC. What research experience you have? What area of finance you want to choose for research? Are you mathematically and statistically ready to take assignment at PhD Finance level? Do you have enough background in Calculus, Advanced Calculus, Multivariable calculus, alzebra, real analysis, partial differentiation, advanced statistics? Do you write or have written publishable quality of academic material? Think around these questions, decide area of focus and send email to atleast dozen B-school enquiring about PhD admission. requirements

I dont think successful finance phd students are only from those programs you listed. Your undergrad gpa if it is equivalent to 2.7 is a little low and could hurt you in admissions. I think we don't know your interests so it might be difficult to know which finance programs to recommend. The only other question I have is why do you want to do a PhD in finance and not go for job in finance? I only say this since you mentioned you wanted a career in finance, not that you wanted to teach, do research, or go for a phd in finance.