Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 84 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 PhD Business Administration Admissions/Waiting/Sweating thread)

Good post? Yes | No

2013 PhD Business Administration Admissions/Waiting/Sweating thread)

Sponsored Ad:
    For reasons that still don't make complete sense to me, the FInance boards operate much differently than the Econ boards. But what I think we can all benefit from is a thread that is just a place to vent, get distracted, post funny things, etc. I am just about finished sending out all of my apps (14 in all) and now the excruciating waiting period begins. I know I'll be a bit of a neurotic mess between now and February (I pray that things start happening in February, or else I'll be even more of a mess), and so I thought creating a thread to help distract those of us who are applying this year would be helpful.

I think it would be best to not post things like "have you heard anything from Harvard yet?"

I wish I could just avoid the forums altogether, but since that is nearly impossible, perhaps we can benefit from a thread like this.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    I like the idea. I am almost done with my 15 applications. Just have to touch up my statement of purpose for some of them and pay all of the fees. I have been a little nervous about this and may have read through the 108 pages of last year's waiting thread, just to get an idea on timing. February had some activity, but it looked like a lot of decisions weren't made until March. I figure I have 4 months before I actually know where I will live for 5 years.

It's nice to see some people in the same boat.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    I haven't been through the application grind, but whenever I feel superanxious, I just observe my breath. Breathe really slowly.

Another technique which helps you stay mindful - Close your eyes, roll them up, focus them between your eyebrows, count backwards from 50. Doing this for 10 minutes is equivalent to getting an hour or two of sleep, they say!

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Yeah, I'm also in like YaSvoboden, I am almost done with the SOPs and I have 10 applications or so to send out. Overworrying as usual, but I guess that's pretty common. That said, how shall distract ourselves?

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Syous View Post
    Yeah, I'm also in like YaSvoboden, I am almost done with the SOPs and I have 10 applications or so to send out. Overworrying as usual, but I guess that's pretty common. That said, how shall distract ourselves?
    My wife is flying to Dubai next week for a big product launch, and her luggage got lost on the way to Boston. This is barely an anecdote, but it is a 10 second distraction for those that read it

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    From what I hear of Dubai she's probably thrilled at the chance to do a little shopping! Time to put a dent in those grad school savings...

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage wittmic's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    This is funny, I just heard a story of a couple whose luggage was lost on the way to their honeymoon. The airline gave them a $1000 shopping card to a department store (can't remember which one), their luggage was promptly found and the airline let them keep the grand as a wedding gift, maybe your wife will have the same kind of luck!!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by wittmic View Post
    This is funny, I just heard a story of a couple whose luggage was lost on the way to their honeymoon. The airline gave them a $1000 shopping card to a department store (can't remember which one), their luggage was promptly found and the airline let them keep the grand as a wedding gift, maybe your wife will have the same kind of luck!!
    Actually, the luggage will be delivered to her hotel (allegedly) by 9pm, just after all the shops close, so if she risks the airline being true to their word, she might find out (too late) that she doesnt have any clothes for tomorrow

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    You’ve already made all the applications? I’m still working on the first draft of my SOP! You are really scaring me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hedgequant View Post
    )and now the excruciating waiting period begins.
    Your profile is amazing and you shouldn't be worried at all. I should be terrified since my list overlaps with yours.

I have always this nasty feeling that my recommenders are too optimistic...
    "Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings" Salvador Dalì

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Catguy View Post
    You’ve already made all the applications? I’m still working on the first draft of my SOP! You are really scaring me!!!!

Your profile is amazing and you shouldn't be worried at all. I should be terrified since my list overlaps with yours.

I have always this nasty feeling that my recommenders are too optimistic...
    Well, I'm not going to tell you that there is nothing to be worried about, because 2 years ago I had a member of an ad comm tell me in person that "you'll get an offer somewhere" and I went 0-13. I feel good about the steps I've taken over the past 2 years to improve my profile above and beyond where I thought it could be, but I am 30, and geographical concerns ruled out many of the schools to which I wouldve applied, and so out of the 14 schools, only 6 are not in the generally accepted top-10. I will be worried and anxious until the first acceptance is in-hand, if it comes at all :/

As for still being on the draft of your SOP, I wouldn't worry about that. One of my letter writers used to run the ad comm at a top-25 school and said that they don't even think about looking at them until January at most places. So given that, and the fact that whether you finish your SOP 2 years ago or the night before the deadline, it doesn't matter, I wouldn't sweat it.

Side note: my wife's luggage arrived at her hotel at 2am.

Page 1 of 84 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread Information