Urch Forums

Advice on Being Waitlisted & Chances of Offer

casechaser5

Hello everyone,

I hope everything is going well during this application season. As I have been waitlisted at a certain school, I was wondering if you had any advice on what I should/can do going forward. Additionally, is there any sort of insights/anecdotes on how probable applicants on the waitlist actually receive offers in the end?

Thanks!

I have a good anecdote for you (true story!)

A friend of mine went through this process about 3 years ago. She applied to 10 schools and received 5 offers. The school where she ended up at put her on a waitlist first. She was #1 on the waitlist for a while. At the end of March she received an offer from that school (T10 by the way).

But the best part of the story is: her cohort consists of 4 students and 3 of them were taken from the waitlist. I think that's a story that should give us hope.

Hello everyone,

I hope everything is going well during this application season. As I have been waitlisted at a certain school, I was wondering if you had any advice on what I should/can do going forward. Additionally, is there any sort of insights/anecdotes on how probable applicants on the waitlist actually receive offers in the end?

Thanks!

It is hard to judge. If you would definitely go to the school, then letting them know that can only help. Also, this is a reasonable thing to ask them. What factors would play into you getting an offer?

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

It helps if you would be sure to accept the offer and let them know. Also, other offers from program of similar or higher level would help. Spots are more likely to be available after the admit day of the programs since people with multiple offers usually make a decision after visiting the programs. Good luck.