Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profile evaluation for PhD in Finance or Financial Economics in 2018

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Profile evaluation for PhD in Finance or Financial Economics in 2018

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by littlechild View Post
    I never trust/look at the rankings since I believe that they are inaccurate. But..., Berkeley being ranked 70th - 100th ??!! Do you remember the year & journal selected to produce that ranking? That's not inaccurate - it's funny, or, is it even legal ?
    That shows how rankings can really lead to mistakes, and why I'm warning about the use of "top something" to select schools.

But then, we are PhD applicants/students/candidates. So, I guess we love to discuss problems with methodology

I tried the UTD ranking again. I used the period between 2014 and 2017, which is the standard way it shows here to me in the site's search by journals (I think it's too short a period, but I'm doing according to their configuration). For journals related to my concentration, which is Marketing (Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, and Marketing Science), and worldwide ranking. Berkeley is showing as 71th.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianPhD View Post
    That shows how rankings can really lead to mistakes, and why I'm warning about the use of "top something" to select schools.

But then, we are PhD applicants/students/candidates. So, I guess we love to discuss problems with methodology

I tried the UTD ranking again. I used the period between 2014 and 2017, which is the standard way it shows here to me in the site's search by journals (I think it's too short a period, but I'm doing according to their configuration). For journals related to my concentration, which is Marketing (Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, and Marketing Science), and worldwide ranking. Berkeley is showing as 71th.
    Thanks BrazilianPhD! The model needs major revision to be publishable

PhD Aspirant

Good post? Yes | No

Hey everyone .. I had been off Urch for some days .. and just checked out this post.

We are having a rather interesting discussion on rankings .. I believe that rankings are always imperfect. In my case, the rankings that I considered were -
    apps.wpcarey (for the last 15 years)

Use rankings as a rough guide .. Also talk to your professors and ask them to suggest some schools. Sometimes, they have a very good idea on the kind of schools that have good faculty & good research going on in your areas, and also they know places where your seniors got placed/interviewed (in my case especially, my professors added some schools to my list which I might have not considered - and I ended up getting interviewed for most of them)

Also if you have some time, go through this particular post by YaSvobodon on T5 versus T25 (especially for finance) - it's on page 111 .. giving you the page number, because we guys made this a really really long thread

http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-busin...ml#post1009785

It also gives a good perspective on rankings and schools.

PhD Aspirant

Good post? Yes | No

Trinity, I am sorry we lost focus on your questions with the discussions on rankings .. answering your specific questions.

You must most definitely apply to Chicago. Though I must say that T5 colleges get most near perfect profiles, especially in Finance. Finance has the toughest competition in the realm of business PhDs, so these colleges get some very strong profiles. I do suppose that you have some strong recommendations .. which will definitely work in your favor. I have read at many places that recommendations are a very important part of your application and having a research relationship with strong academic professors (as in your case) would be helpful. So, apply to Chicago, but be cognizant that your profile probably falls short for some of the T5 programs.

I won't spend too much time in scoring 170Q in GRE. You have a great GRE score .. however, there are many applicants with 170Q GRE. It takes lesser effort to get from 168 to 170 I guess .. a bit of luck .. and practice all the hard questions in maths from ETS GRE guide and ETS maths guide. Probably read the chapter you have some doubts on from the ETS GRE guide. I think it should take you some 5-10 days .. and it's worth that kind of effort. However, don't spend too much time on it also.

Maybe you can mention about the bar in your personal statement, and just touch lightly on the subject in SoP. My advice would be not to sell it too much, though!

Final verdict .. apply very broadly in T30 colleges. Try applying to some good European schools that don't show up always in standard rankings (like LSE, LBS, Oxford, Judge, Tilburg, INSEAD, SSE etc. .. based on your research interests and based on where people with backgrounds similar to yours get placed).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information