Urch Forums

School Recommendation - Ph.d in accounting

ddfdjklsdk

Hi guys!

Could you please evaluate my profile for phd in accounting and recommend some schools based on my profile?

Test Scores : GMAT 750 (Q51, AWA 6.0)

Undegrad GPA: 3.6 Top Korean Business School - Econ : full year scholarship

Graduate GPA: 3.8 (Top US 10-15 School)- Masters in Accounting : merit based scholarship as an international student

Research Experience: no

Teaching Experience: no

Work Experience: Big 4 Manager in NY (Financial Institution Assurance)

CPA/CFA

Good LOR from professors / Head Partners

Course taken: econometrics/ college math/ economic statistics

+ number of advanced accounting classes (accounting for M&A, valuation, FS analysis, etc)

Concentration Applying to: Ph.d in accounting

Number of programs planned to apply to: 10

Dream Schools: Stanford/USC/Havard/MIT/Chicago

Research interest: The relation between accounting information and stock returns/Earnings management/accounting information in corporate financial statements affects security prices/Capital Market

The role of analysts and auditors as information intermediaries

Thank you for replying back to me!

I think my weakness in admission will be lack of math background and research experience.

1. Taking math class in university (Calculus 1, 2 and Linear Algebra) as a non-degree student is necessary for admission? Or can I just take online courses to get credit?

2. How is important to have research experience? I only have work experiences right after getting my master's degree, and had no chance to get research experience.

3. Is it better to have all LOR from professors? or 2 LOR from professor and 1 LOR from Industry (partners, Managing Director etc..?)

Thanks a lot!

Edited by ddfdjklsdk

Being able to demonstrate understanding of accounting research and desire to contribute to the body of research is more important than having participated in actual research. Or at least, is a lot more common and will satisfy requirements for most schools.

Extra math will help. Calc 1-3 and linear algebra are very useful. I don't think online vs. in class matters much. If you are applying this year than all you can do is say that you are planning to take courses before enrollment. Some schools will let you come in the summer and take those kind of classes on campus. It is a great way to move to the area and give yourself time to get used to everything.

All else equal 3 professor letters are better. If your third professor can't really say much about you but a partner at your firm can say that you are smart, understand concepts quickly, are a very hard worker, etc. then that could be more useful.