Urch Forums

Unclear instructions in applications for submitting transcripts help

TaxGal

This may seem like a small problem with deadlines fast approaching but it has me worried. As I’m finalizing some apps I am lost when it comes to submitting undergrad transcripts with no instructions. Mainly the university of Illinois has a section where I add an institution then upload a digital transcript. It doesn’t say it has to be official or unofficial and it doesn’t have a way to mail them in. I don’t have access without getting a mailed copy to a transcript from a college that provided 2 classes in high school and i won’t be able to get a mailed copy to me then scan and upload a digital copy before the December 1st deadline. Plus I only have an unofficial online transcript from undergrad that I uploaded since it doesn’t specify what it wants. Anyone else running into this problem.

On on another note Michigan State doesn’t even have an option to upload transcripts or even ask for GPA which seems very odd to me. Unless it asks after I submit my application the only useful information I provide on that application is my name and statement of purpose.

I cannot say for certain, but my guess is that University of Illinois and Michigan State would require official transcripts upon acceptance.

It is not uncommon for schools to only request digital unofficial transcripts during the application process given the time/cost associated with requesting official copies. Then if they accept you, you'll be expected to verify the information you provided in the application process by submitting an official transcript.

If you're still concerned, you could always contact the graduate college admissions office at University of Illinois and I am sure they can answer your question.

Yes everything that tax said is what I've heard as well. Most schools don't care about official transcripts until after you are accepted. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if you are really concerned about a college you did during high school being too official. If you can find a copy of a grade sheet that would likely be more than enough (especially since it was just 2 classes).

This may seem like a small problem with deadlines fast approaching but it has me worried. As I’m finalizing some apps I am lost when it comes to submitting undergrad transcripts with no instructions. Mainly the university of Illinois has a section where I add an institution then upload a digital transcript. It doesn’t say it has to be official or unofficial and it doesn’t have a way to mail them in. I don’t have access without getting a mailed copy to a transcript from a college that provided 2 classes in high school and i won’t be able to get a mailed copy to me then scan and upload a digital copy before the December 1st deadline. Plus I only have an unofficial online transcript from undergrad that I uploaded since it doesn’t specify what it wants. Anyone else running into this problem.

On on another note Michigan State doesn’t even have an option to upload transcripts or even ask for GPA which seems very odd to me. Unless it asks after I submit my application the only useful information I provide on that application is my name and statement of purpose.

Yes, everything said above is generally accurate. Don't take it as being unclear - the idea is that applicants need to spend money to request official transcripts. Instead, provide unofficial copies, which will be confirmed upon full acceptance. If you are still worried about these issues, then contacting the program director or graduate student admin is ok.

A bit late to respond and you might have realized by now, MSU does allow you to upload scanned copies of unofficial transcripts after you submit the main application.