Urch Forums

Don't know which offer to accept

chin_music

I have a number of great choices but am really torn on what to do! My main interest is in political economy (especially development and International Relations) and I have been accepted into the political economy program at Princeton Woodrow Wilson, the Pardee RAND Graduate School. as well as both the political science and economics departments at UCSD. Funding is excellent at UCSD political Science and Princeton, pretty good at RAND, and not as great at UCSD economics. My first choice is to pursue an academic career (probably in political science or a policy school since I am more interested in political science questions) but I am also very interested in policy work. I would like to do mainly applied work (but still want to be well grounded in theory) as either an academic or in a policy job.

Princeton Woodrow Wilson seems like a perfect fit for me as it would allow me to teach in a political science department and work in policy. BUT my significant other is currently a 2nd year medical student at UCSD. I think it will be incredibly difficult to be across the country from her! She will be at UCSD for at least 2 more years and then go to residency. While she can't choose her residency the modal result for UCSD students is a San Diego residency (Los Angeles is the 2nd most common).

UCSD's political science department is a top 10 department and would give me all the necessary opportunities for an academic career. I would also have an opportunity to gain a masters in economics along the way while not prolonging my studies. But my non-academic opportunities would not be as great as at Princeton. If I went to RAND I would only be an hour or two away from San Diego and would certainly be able to find a good policy job in CA but would probably have a hard time getting an academic placement. I would probably also finish my degree faster. UCSD economics would also give me excellent opportunities but I don't think that I would be as passionate about it and my academic chances might be tougher that at Princeton or UCSD Political Science.

I am really struggling with this choice and opinions are much appreciated!!!

It seems like you are making your choice between disciplines based on geographic preferences?!

Economics seems radically different than political science. In economics, you will be asked to do rigorous mathematical proofs. Applied micro and empirical work is really sort of impressionistic and not general, but can be very interesting.

Obviously Princeton is the best academic option by far, I think.

Is there anyway that she could transfer medical school? Isn't it something like the 4th year is basically a year-long internship?

I guess the other factor is to evaluate is how serious your relationship is and how likely you are to be together in 5 years even if you stay in close geographic proximity. I'm not questioning your devotion to each other or anything (I have no idea how long you've been together, future plans, etc), just suggesting that you (as best you can) objectively and critically assess the likely future of your relationship. I've had a lot of friends who have given up opportunities (both academic and professional) to stay with someone, only to have the relationship end shortly thereafter (possibly because there is stress on a relationship introduced by one partner making a sacrifice for the other).

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! My girlfriend and I have been together for a while now and are in a serious relationship and plan to be together in 5 years regardless of where I go. Does anyone have any experience with long distance relationships in graduate school? Does one have a lot of flexibility to be off campus after they finish their coursework?

Here's my honest advice: get your girlfriend to marry you and then make the sacrifices necessary for her career to succeed so she can support you in style. She's probably going to make much better money than you no matter which school you pick, so the opposite arrangement doesn't make much sense. And each of you committing halfway isn't going to work, either.

If that doesn't sound like it's worth the cost/risk, then pick whatever is best for you on the assumption that you won't stay together. (Maybe a miracle will happen and you will, of course.)

buckykatt sounds right, if you have doubts about marrying her right now, I really wouldn't suggest making such a sacrifice.

Case 1) your relationship is really strong, u are serious, you will not break up and you will get married. In this case you should choose Princeton, 2-3 years pass swiftly and you can always fly. If the relationship is strong, a little distance will do u no harm.

Case 2) If the relationship really isn't that strong, i don't see why you should make a sacrifice for something that has no guarantee of lasting long.

either way, I'd pick Princeton. Unless you see yourself getting married to her right away, in which case, get married and USCD it is.

I'm kinda with Buckykatt and kniwor, but given that I moved to another country for a half of a sniff of a relationship with a girl (who I have since married, btw) I'm not in a position to say "go to Princeton and what will be, will be". But I will say that if you do want to marry this girl, be happy at UCSD.