Urch Forums

Online linear algebra or in-class matrix algebra?

Ukkepuk

Hello everyone,

I want to strengthen my application for the next cycle of economics phd applications by taking math courses. My current math background: solid grades (A) in a few undergraduate courses that basically cover Chiang's textbook taken a decade ago (I am in my early 30s) and an 800 score in the math part of the GRE.

This fall I will enroll in a real analysis class at a local university (I will prepare for that through self-study). This summer, given my crazy work schedule, I have two options: an online linear algebra course at EPGY or a matrix algebra class at a local university, which will cover: systems of linear equations, matrices, determinants, introduction to vector spaces and linear transformations, applications. I only have time for one of the two options.

Which would work best for my application? Any advice welcome!

Your matrix algebra course sounds like a first course in linear algebra! Post both course describtions for a better advise. I can tell you right off the bat thet you'll definitely linear algebra with all the stuff you mentioned above! An online version of linear algebra is still linear algebra! Just go ahead and post more info so that we can give you a more informed advise.

Excuse my ignorance on this, but what is "EPGY"?

Excuse my ignorance on this, but what is "EPGY"?

EPGY is Stanford's distance learning program that's specifically targeted, albeit not exclusive, to gifted high school students. It gives them the opportunity to take advanced college-level courses, like real analysis, in high shcool.

While there certainly is a lot of value in taking a proof-oriented math course, I wouldn't say that the decision between the two classes is really all that clear cut. A course that focuses on the computational aspects of linear algebra would be very helpful in a lot of grad econ courses, especially in econometrics.

EPGY is Stanford's distance learning program that's specifically targeted, albeit not exclusive, to gifted high school students. It gives them the opportunity to take advanced college-level courses, like real analysis, in high shcool.

While there certainly is a lot of value in taking a proof-oriented math course, I wouldn't say that the decision between the two classes is really all that clear cut. A course that focuses on the computational aspects of linear algebra would be very helpful in a lot of grad econ courses, especially in econometrics.

But only if that computation is associated with programming ... otherwise, its a moot exercise, because an online linear algebra course is unlikely to cover programming in Matlab and especially STATA.

Take the course. The outside option is getting a cheap linear algebra book (here is one for $.75 + shipping: Half.com: Linear Algebra with Applications by Steven J. Leon (1994, Book, Illustrated)(9780023698316): Steven J. Leon: Books -- and here is one that is free that goes over a great deal of topics you will use down the road: http://www.math.byu.edu/~klkuttle/Linearalgebra.pdf -- though it is a little on the advanced side) and teaching yourself--a more than viable option with opencourseware to supplement from MIT, Yale, or Stanford.

But only if that computation is associated with programming ... otherwise, its a moot exercise, because an online linear algebra course is unlikely to cover programming in Matlab and especially STATA.

Take the course. The outside option is getting a cheap linear algebra book (here is one for $.75 + shipping: Half.com: Linear Algebra with Applications by Steven J. Leon (1994, Book, Illustrated)(9780023698316): Steven J. Leon: Books -- and here is one that is free that goes over a great deal of topics you will use down the road: http://www.math.byu.edu/~klkuttle/Linearalgebra.pdf -- though it is a little on the advanced side) and teaching yourself--a more than viable option with opencourseware to supplement from MIT, Yale, or Stanford.

I think that if he/she hasn't had a formal class in linear alg (or if the course was a very long time ago), taking the course (whether online or at a local university) may be beneficial for admissions chances (even if he/she could obtain the same level of understanding from a self-study).

I think that if he/she hasn't had a formal class in linear alg (or if the course was a very long time ago), taking the course (whether online or at a local university) may be beneficial for admissions chances (even if he/she could obtain the same level of understanding from a self-study).

I don't know how much it would help admission chances over other signals, but it would definitely increase the OP's personal ability and confidence in things linear algebra.

Agree that a course focusing on the computational espects of linear algebra is important, but, i think what this person needs is the basic standard first course in linear algebra. Once you have that, you can then advance to something like numerical methods (numerical analysis) which deals with the computational aspects of LA. From my experience, an online course in LA was still very proof oriented and it did involve a lot of MatLab! I guess you better check to see exactly what you're getting! That said, i agree with TomRod, if you can teach yourself the beginning course (more power to you!) then you should go for it and take the more advanced course.

I don't know how much it would help admission chances over other signals, but it would definitely increase the OP's personal ability and confidence in things linear algebra.

Definitely agree! Actually, if the person takes a more advanced course in LA he/she can explain that in their SoP by telling them that a beginning course in LA was not challenging therefore he/she decided to take the next advanced course! This actually might be a pretty good signal after all!

Definitely agree! Actually, if the person takes a more advanced course in LA he/she can explain that in their SoP by telling them that a beginning course in LA was not challenging therefore he/she decided to take the next advanced course! This actually might be a pretty good signal after all!

I agree that an advanced linear alg class + real analysis would be optimal. However, if he/she doesn't feel like he/she has time to take the advanced linear alg course (as he/she mentioned a very crazy work schedule) in addition to taking real analysis + doing a self-study of basic linear alg, I think that taking basic linear alg for a grade would be better than only doing a self-study of linear alg and not having a grade in any sort (basic of advanced) of linear alg. Taking more difficult classes is always better, but at the same time if one has a crazy work schedule, it is best to not take more difficult classes than one is capable of handling.

I agree that an advanced linear alg class + real analysis would be optimal. However, if he/she doesn't feel like he/she has time to take the advanced linear alg course (as he/she mentioned a very crazy work schedule) in addition to taking real analysis + doing a self-study of basic linear alg, I think that taking basic linear alg for a grade would be better than only doing a self-study of linear alg and not having a grade in any sort (basic of advanced) of linear alg. Taking more difficult classes is always better, but at the same time if one has a crazy work schedule, it is best to not take more difficult classes than one is capable of handling.

Absolutely true. This person should figure out their schedule and abilities first! If he/she can't take the advanced course then it is definitely better to take LA for a grade than just self study. I guess the key here is to make sure not to go beyond what you can handle. Do the advanced course only if you're 100% sure you can handle it, but you have any doubts, then stick with a regular standard course in LA with a grade.

Good luck!

So this is the content of the EPGY (stanford) online linear algebra class that I am considering:

• Matrices
  • Linear Equations
  • Vector Spaces
  • Bases and Coordinates
  • Linear Transformations
  • Eigenvectors and Eigenvalues
  • Diagonalization

The textbook is "Linear Algebra" by Bronson.

So I, given my work schedule, I can only take either the online linear algebra class or the in-class matrix algebra (math 160). The matrix algebra class at a local university covers systems of linear equations, matrices, determinants, introduction to vector spaces and linear transformations, applications.

My doubt regarding the online linear algebra class: I am not sure how seriously adcoms take online courses.

My doubt regarding the in-class matrix algebra: adcoms might look down on it regarding it as too simple. On the other hand, I graduated froma European university almost a decade ago and have only done the GRE math since (scored an 800 though), so it could be convenient to start with something more basic.

Any advice more than welcome!

I wouldn't worry too much about taking the course online. The program seems very prestiges so no need to worry about adcoms. My advise, if you can handle the online course given the time constraint during summer then it is definitely the one that you should consider. This course will cover all of the basic introductory linear algebra concepts and get you ready for any advanced courses in matrix theory and/or applications.

To be honest, the two courses seem similar! The online Stanford course might be a bit more rigorous than the other (i mean it is still an introductory course!), so you might go into a bit more in depth with the online course. However, i don't think you'll get that much more. So, if you think you can handle the online course then go for it, if not, you won't go wrong with your other option.

Good luck!

• 6 months later...

Today most of the Students getting problem in mathematics and they have mathofobia and dont wanna go for math lectures of school and colleges so online tutoring covers all grades and levels right from the middle and primary school to college level. College students benefit greatly from personalized Online Algebra help where they can work one-on-one with a tutor and pace the lessons depending on their schedule. students can also take a demo session by connecting to an expert tutor to get Free help for all grades and also college algebra.

Solve this 4x4 matrix using Cramer's rule

(1-a1-a2 ; a1 ; a2 ; 0)

(b1 ; 1-b1-a2+c2 ; 0 ; a2-c2)

(b2 ; 0 ; 1-b2-a1+c2 ; a1-c1)

(0 ; b2+c2 ; b1+c1 ; 1-b1-c1-b2-c2)

all 4 rows equal zero and the variables to be found (going across the rows) are w, x, y and z.

When I tried to solve the first determinant I got 4 brackets with 3, 4, 4 and 5 elements in and the multiplying out got too confusing so I am not sure if it was right or not.

My teacher said Cramer's rule is the easiest way to solve so I want to do it by this method but I've never been taught it and I can't find an example using algebra.

hey which thread is there to Matrices and Determinants in 12th Class please tell me....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!