Urch Forums

The Economist

tm_member

Hi all, while this isn't directly related to the purpose of the forum, I think reading The Economist can be helpful for shaping research goals at the early stages of the PhD and for undergraduates.

The student price is $77 for 51 issues on the Economist website but there is a Pittsburgh area Groupon for $51 for the same level of subscription. If you are interested... http://www.groupon.com/deals/the-economist-newspaper-pittsburgh-2?c=dnb&p=3

Edited by tm_member

I got a Groupon deal last August for $51 and have greatly enjoyed it (although I don't have time to read everything that I want). But I agree: it's a great way to stay abreast of world news that might spur a research idea. I think that it's more useful than a daily newspaper, in that monitoring the headlines is a weekly rather than a daily chore.

Similarly, for those interested in economics of education, I find EdWeek and Chronicles of Higher Education useful for a similar purpose. Both follow a freemium model, in that you can access most current content without a subscription, but you need to pay to get access to certain articles as well as the archives:

Education Week American Education News Site of Record

Home - The Chronicle of Higher Education

The cheapest way I've found of buying magazine subscriptions is with airline miles. With AA miles, you can buy 51 issues for 3200miles (which is worth about $32). I'm still a cheapo though so I only read the online version and I use an incognito window or clear the cache when I run out of the 5 weekly articles.

The cheapest way I've found of buying magazine subscriptions is with airline miles. With AA miles, you can buy 51 issues for 3200miles (which is worth about $32). I'm still a cheapo though so I only read the online version and I use an incognito window or clear the cache when I run out of the 5 weekly articles.

Yeah paywalls are pretty easily circumvented... but it's nice to peruse the physical magazine in downtime and one thing I've learned as I get older is to never regret spending money on the stuff you love!