Urch Forums

Umontreal - reputation?

Emilien

Good day everyone,

I might be a bit early but I'm starting my application process for graduate economics program for 2013. I'm hesitating between LSE, Utoronto, Queen's, UBC, Umontreal. I've found plenty of information on this board about all of them except for Umontreal. It might be because the language of teaching is french...

How's the reputation of Université de Montréal in the rest of Canada and overseas? Compared to Utoronto, Queen's, UBC?

I know our econ department is associated with some big research centers and we have a big faculty of highly qualified and prolific (research-wise) professors but it seems this forum is pretty quiet about it. The thing is if I stay at Umontreal, I know I could get more funding (+ cheaper tuition), more RA&TA opportunities + I already personally know some PhD-courses teaching professors. Also, I would be allowed to take some PhD classes (let's say metrics + micro) since the first year. I'm scared to go to some other school for the reputation and then be disappointed. I have quite a high opportunity cost of going anywhere else

All comments are highly appreciated!

I did my MA economics from York (toronto) and heard pretty good things about U Montreal. My friend who is doing his Phd at McGill also speaks highly about it. General impression about the department is that it is very good econometrics. I think the department lies in the middle of second tier after the big 4. In general Canada's ranking of the economics department goes as follows :

Tier 1: u of t, ubc, queens and western

Tier 2: SFU, mcgill, mcmaster, u montreal , calgary ( arguably)

Tier 3: carleton, alberta, york, ottawa

Tier 4: victoria, concordia, ryerson, waterloo, manitoba

If you have better opportunity at U montreal, i think you should go for it

Thank you gradecon,

I should have also said that I'm mostly interested in econometrics and that I would pursue a only a M.Sc at Umontreal (then job market or PhD somewhere else). Anyone else about my prospects after a M.Sc there VS UofT, Queen's & UBC?