Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Profiles and Results 2013

Fus Ro Dah Moderator mathemagician's Avatar

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Profiles and Results 2013

Sponsored Ad:
    I suggest that you should post in this thread only after you have received all or most of your offers since posts can't be edited after a few days. Also, feel free to mention how accurate or inaccurate the predictions were if you started a predictions thread.

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Undergrad GPA:
    Type of Grad:
    Grad GPA:
    GRE:
    Math Courses:
    Econ Courses:
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation:
    Research Experience:
    Teaching Experience:
    Research Interests:
    SOP:
    Other:

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    Waitlists:
    Rejections:
    Pending:
    Attending:
    Comments:

What would you have done differently?

Within my grasp!

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE: Python7768
    Type of Undergrad: Non PhD granting, but good undergrad Econ
    Undergrad GPA: 3.78
    Type of Grad: NA
    Grad GPA: NA
    GRE: 166 Q 160 V 4.5 AW
    Math Courses: Calc 1,2,3 (A-, A, A), Lin Alg (A), Intro to proofs (B), Graduate level optimization techniques (A) < What was on transcript.
    Was enrolled in Advanced Probability Theory and analysis while I was applying so it showed up without a grade.
    Econ Courses: Inter Micro and Macro (A, A), Stats for Economists (A-), Intro Econometrics (B+), Advanced Econometrics (B+), Labor (A), I.O. (A),
    Computational Economics (A) and was enrolled in Advanced Micro and Advanced Macro.
    Other Courses: Nothing really of interest
    Letters of Recommendation: 3 letters. 2 are professors that I research for (If they said anything less than I walk on water I would be surprised), and
    a professor that I had a few classes with (also very strong as I was always his top student)
    Research Experience: A year involved in DSGE/computational type economic research in a selective group at my university
    Teaching Experience: TA'd for intermediate macro for a year
    Research Interests: Macroeconomics, monetary, computational
    SOP: I think it was well written. Started writing it in September and went through 3-4 drafts
    Other: Met a couple professors at a conference that may have helped me get into one of the places after I talked to them about my research.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: NYU Stern($$$), Carnegie-Mellon($$$), Washington at St. Louis($$), Rochester($$). oh and Wisconsin's Masters(-$$$$) haha
    ^Funding is in $ = 10,000 USD rounded down to nearest 10,000. *note Wisc masters is indeed negative.
    Waitlists: None.
    Rejections: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Penn State, Chicago, Northwestern
    Pending: Vanderbilt and Arizona State, but they were pretty much safeties. Weird lol.
    Attending: Either NYU Stern or CMU (leaning to Stern)
    Comments: I'm very happy with my outcomes. Visiting the above schools in the next few weeks and will make a final decision
    soon after. I am glad that I attended a couple conferences. Great to meet professors and to see more of what I am getting myself
    into. Good luck to everyone still sorting out schools!

What would you have done differently? I think I chose my schools pretty well, but I had breakfast with a professor (our dept puts together a breakfast
    for undergrads with the weekly visiting scholar) this week who said that it was ok and even encouraged to mention people's research in your SOP who
    weren't at the department and sometimes that was even impressive and a good indication that the applicant is well informed about the research process...
    Just a heads up because I didn't do that.
    Last edited by Python7768; 03-15-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Updated to include funding

Within my grasp!

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: BA in Economics, Top 5 in South America
    Undergrad GPA: international grading system (ranked top 3%)
    Type of Grad: in applied economics, Top 5 in Europe, Top 10 worldwide
    Grad GPA: international grading system (ranked first in class, summa cum laude)
    GRE: 165Q, 162V, 5.0A
    Math Courses: Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics, Math Methods for Economics, Real Analysis (international grading, equivalent to A-'s, A's and A+'s)
    Econ Courses (grad-level): The usual lot, strong emphasis on applied economics.
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): A lot.
    Other Courses: Loads of political science courses during undergrad
    Letters of Recommendation: (1) Undergrad thesis advisor (well-known in home country, top 5% IDEAS); (2) master thesis advisor (well-known internationally, top 5% IDEAS); (3) grad research advisor (unknown, but knows me well); (4) grad professor (decently known, top 5% IDEAS)
    Research Experience: undergrad and grad theses, 1 year with grad research advisor (co-authored publication), 1.5 years in think tank in Europe (co-authored WPs)
    Teaching Experience: some undergrad-level micro and macro in European university
    Research Interests: political economy, labor economics, public economics, development
    SOP: explained research interests, tailored to each program (yes, I did mention the 3-4 professors I'd like to work with and why, for each school)
    Concerns: not enough math, mediocre Q score in GRE, transfer during grad may be somewhat confusing
    Other: Undergrad thesis published in peer-review journal, unknown internationally. Grad thesis is forthcoming in peer-reviewed journal. Note that rankings above are the general Ideas Repec rankings for simplicity.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: Princeton ($31.1k), Columbia ($28k), UC Berkeley ($25k), Maryland ($20k)
    Rejections: Stanford, MIT, Yale, NWU, Brown, UCSD, Duke, NYU, Harvard, Cornell
    Pending: Harvard KSG, Chicago Harris, UC Davis
    Attending: Undecided between Princeton and UC Berkeley
    Comments: I am extremely surprised and happy with my results; I was not expecting to crack T5. I will be visiting Princeton, Berkeley, and Columbia next month. I cannot wait!

What would you have done differently? Not much I can think of!

Just wanted to take a moment and say that this forum is GREAT for many reasons, and I advise all lurkers to join in, post, and share with the TM community. First, it's a great way to know your competition before applying to schools. As the application process starts, the majority of us tend to underestimate the competitiveness out there -- TM is a wonderful reality check. Second, it's a fantastic way to learn from others about the application process: how to write SOPs, how to ask for LORs, where to apply, how to decide between schools, etc. Of course, with so many of us posting here there is bound to be some noise. In spite of this, TM remains an excellent source of very useful information. Finally, it's also a good way to vent fears and anxieties about the application process itself. It's comforting to know we all share similar emotions during this whole process, and I personally found a lot of support being part of the TM community. I wish you guys all the best!
    Last edited by julilo; 03-21-2013 at 05:15 AM.
    University of California, Berkeley
    PhD in Economics
    Class of 2018

Eager!

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: BS with Honors, Economics, Mathematics, and Political Science at flagship state university (Top 20 in Economics)
    Undergrad GPA: 3.99
    Type of Grad: n/a
    Grad GPA: n/a
    GRE: 800Q, 610V, 5.0AW
    Math Courses: Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, Topology, Real Analysis, Stochastic Processes, ODEs (all As)
    Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro Theory (only non-A)
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): A bunch (all As)
    Letters of Recommendation: 3, all should be strong. 2 MIT PhDs, 1 Stanford PhD. All well published.
    Research Experience: 2 years undergrad RA, one year as full-time RA at top 2 institution.
    Teaching Experience: None
    Research Interests: Political Economy, Public Economics
    SOP: Relatively general narrative, research interests tailored to school
    Concerns: No real safeties
    Applying to: MIT, Harvard, Harvard PEG, Stanford, Stanford GSB, Berkeley, Yale, Chicago, Princeton, Michigan, Columbia, UCSD, NSF

RESULTS: ​
    Acceptances:
    MIT, Harvard, Harvard PEG, Stanford, Stanford GSB, Berkeley, Yale, Chicago, Princeton, UCSD
    Waitlists:
    Michigan
    Rejections:
    Columbia
    Pending:
    NSF
    Attending: Still deciding, will almost definitely be MIT or Harvard
    Comments: Spending time doing RA work really helped bolster my application. I had a few well-known and very respected people go to bat for me, which definitely made all the difference.

What would you have done differently? Nothing.
    In: MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Stanford GSB, Berkeley, Chicago, Princeton, Yale, UCSD Waitlist: ​Harvard PEG, Michigan Rejected: Columbia

Eager!

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    BSc Philosophy & Econ: Top UK department
    Undergrad GPA: 1st - ranked #1 on final year exams
    Type of Grad1: MSc Econ: Top UK department
    Grad GPA: Distinction
    Type of Grad2: US Top 5: Some Grad courses
    Grad GPA: 4.0
    GRE: Q: 169, V: 170, A: 5.0
    Math Courses: Lin Algebra, Calculus, Further Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, Statistics
    Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro, Macro, Metrics, Contracts, Game Theory, Computation
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Micro, Macro, Metrics, Assorted Topics
    Other Courses: Philosophy of Science and Economics
    Letters of Recommendation: 2 Professors from top UK dept, 1 (joint) from 2 professors I work for at US BSchool, 1 from professor at Top 5 US
    Research Experience: Masters thesis in contracts/behavioral,1.5 years full-time RA at US BSchool.
    Teaching Experience: TA Undergrad Micro
    Research Interests: contracts, game theory etc.
    SOP: Talk about research
    Applying to: Harvad, HBS, MIT, Princeton, Chicago, Booth, Stanford, Stanford GSB, Northwestern, Columbia, Columbia Business, NYU, Stern, Penn, Wharton, Yale, Berkeley, UCLA, Caltech, UCSD, Duke, Brown, Cornell, Minnesota, Michigan

Acceptances:
    Chicago, Booth, Stanford, Northwestern, NYU, Penn, Wharton, Yale, UCLA, Caltech, UCSD, Duke, Brown, Minnesota, Michigan
    Waitlists:
    Harvard
    Rejections:
    HBS, MIT, Princeton, Stanford GSB, Columbia, Columbia Business, Stern, Berkeley
    Pending:
    Cornell
    Attending: Probably Stanford or Harvard (depending on whether I get off the Harvard wait list).
    Comments: Interviewed at HBS.

What would you have done differently? Not sure. Knocking at the door of Harvard/MIT (with HBS interview and Harvard waitlist), but didn't quite crack it.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: Econ at top school in Asia
    Undergrad GPA: 3.92
    Type of Grad:
    Econ at top school in Asia
    Grad GPA: 4.00
    GRE:Q170/V152/W3.0 (very low AW score lol)
    Math Courses: Real analysis, Probability, Calculus, Dynamic Programming etc...
    Econ Courses: Core Courses (1st place at graduate Micro and graduate Macro)
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation: 1 from very famous professor, 2 from relatively famous professors.
    Research Experience: none
    Teaching Experience: graduate Micro, undergraduate game theory, graduate Macro
    Research Interests: game theory and microeconomic theory, political economics
    SOP:
    general narrative containing two or three faculty whom I want to work with
    Other:

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: Stanford, Yale, Chicago, Northwestern, Upenn, Berkley
    Waitlists: Harvard
    Rejections: Princeton
    Pending:
    Attending: Stanford... maybe. I'm satisfied.
    Comments:

I think what led me to a top 4 school is extremely good performance in Core courses. But it was not enough to be admitted to Harvard. I'm very thankful for econ.phd. If there is anything I can help, feel free to send me message.

Eager!
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Type of Undergrad: BSc with a major in maths and honours in economics at top Australian university
    Undergrad GPA: 92/100
    GRE:Q169/V165/W4.5
    Math Courses: linear algebra, real analysis, complex analysis, metric & Hilbert spaces, introductory topology and algebra, probability theory, ODE, PDE, optimization, vector calculus (all 93+ except for PDE)
    Econ Courses: intro, inter, 3rd-year and advanced micro and macro; (these are all honours level) econometrics, monetary economics, bayesian econometrics, game theory
    Other Courses: a few computer science courses
    Letters of Recommendation: 1 from my honours advisor who is kind of famous in his field, 1 from an econometrics professor who may be kind of famous because he wrote a few textbooks, 1 from a maths professor with whom I did research
    Research Experience: full-time research project (maths) over the summer vacation, honours research paper
    Teaching Experience: 1st year and 2nd year micro, 2nd and 3rd year macro
    Research Interests: game theory, information economics
    SOP: general narrative about own research experience, fields of interest, named two or three professor i would like to work with for some schools

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: Stanford, Yale, Northwestern, Penn, NYU, Columbia, UCLA, UCSD
    Waitlists: none
    Rejections: Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Chicago, Berkeley, Caltech

Attending: Stanford.
    Comments: I think I should have tried more actively to find RA work. In hindsight, the letter from the math professor probably did not help much. But overall, I'm very happy with my application results.

Eager!

Type of Undergrad: Top 2 in China, Math and Econ
    Undergrad GPA:
    90/100 (Math and Econ: 92) Mediocre rank (just within top 20%)
    Type of Grad: Top 2 in Europe, best in France
    Grad GPA: 19.1/20, Rank 1/100+ (full point in Micro I, Micro II, Macro II, Game Theory, Advanced Game Theory)
    GRE: 620+800+4.0
    TOEFL:
    Math Courses: Mathematical Analysis 1~3; Advanced Algebra 1~2; ODE; PDE; Measure Theory, Probability Theory, Stochastic Process, Abstract Algebra, Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis, Mathematical Statistics, Numerical Analysis, Number Theory...
    Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro 1~2, Macro 1~2, Econometrics 1, Game Theory, Advanced Game Theory;
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Tons--90+ except principle of economics and intermediate macro
    1) LSE PhD, Associate Prof., Editor of a top econ theory journal, Macro II teacher, co-Advisor, know me well
    2) MIT PhD, Prof. visiting Prof. in MIT, co-Advisor, help me to revise my paper; Began RAing for him only after my application.
    3) A newly graduated Stanford PhD (has already published an Econometrica)
    Research Experience: 3 single authored papers (2 on cheap talk, 1 on moral hazard in teams) and several on-going projects. Have presentations in AEA, mid-west econ theory meetings, etc.
    Teaching Experience: TA for Game Theory (Master Level), Macro I and Macro II (Master Level)
    Research Interests: theory, especially information economics and the theory of organizations.
    SOP: Standard, abstracts of papers and on-going projects.

Acceptances: Stanford ($$$), MIT($$$), Princeton($$$), Yale($$$), Northwestern ($$$), Toulouse School of Economics (default option)
    Withdrawal: NYU
    Rejections: Stanford GSB
    Attending: Most likely Princeton, Stanford, Toulouse or MIT.
    Comments:

I should apply to more Business Schools, like HBS and Kellogg. They have good programs in theory, and can be more flexible than econ.
    Last edited by achillisharry; 03-16-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Eager!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    US science/engineering university with a top econ program
    Undergrad GPA:
    Type of Grad:
    Grad GPA:
    GRE:
    170/170/6.0
    Math Courses:
    (All A's) Calculus I, II, advanced calculus, diff eq., linear algebra, algorithms, artificial intelligence, real analysis, probability
    Econ Courses:
    (All A's) Micro I and II, Macro I and II, game theory, health economics, contract theory, econometrics, a research-based class, political economy
    Other Courses:
    Lots of physics (I'm a physics and economics double major) and computer science
    Two professors I worked for, one who taught a class centered on doing independent research
    Research Experience:
    Worked for two different professors last summer, research-based class
    Teaching Experience:
    Taught non-econ Saturday classes for high schoolers, some math tutoring
    Research Interests:
    Development, behavioral economics, political economy, applied econometrics
    SOP:
    Bland
    Other:
    Very experienced with Stata, Latex, Matlab, programming in general. Included a writing sample on forms that allowed it.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    Harvard ($$$), Columbia ($$$), NYU ($$$), UCLA ($$), UCSD ($), BU($$.5)
    Waitlists:
    Rejections:
    Yale, Princeton, MIT, Caltech, Berkeley, Stanford
    Pending:
    Attending:
    Probably Harvard
    Comments:
    Rejections suck; I don't know if they were due to the short time I've spent in econ or whether I am just not a great applicant in ways I couldn't improve. But I am thrilled to have the options I have.

Figured out I wanted to do econ sooner! All three of my letter of recommendation's were based off work I did in the eight months before applying. My profile would have looked a lot stronger even one semester later.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Type of Undergrad: Econ and Math at top school in east asia
    Undergrad GPA: 90+/100
    Type of Grad: Grad courses at US top 5 econ program
    Grad GPA: 4.0
    GRE: V710, Q800, AW4.5
    Math Courses: Linear Algebra, Calculus, Real Analysis, ODE, Stochastic Process, Probability, Statistics, Abstract Algebra, Functional Analysis, all 90+
    Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro, two 2nd-year field courses
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro&Macro, Metrics, IO, etc.
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation: two professors I worked for, one undergrad thesis advisor, and dean of our school, all very passionate
    Research Experience: one semester plus summer RA at top 5 school in US, co-authoring a theory paper with a professor
    Teaching Experience: one semester TA for introductory economics
    Research Interests: behavioral, applied micro, and micro theory
    SOP: nothing special, talked about research experiences, and used professional edit to check the English
    Applying to: Harvad, HBS, MIT, Princeton, Chicago, Stanford, Stanford GSB, Yale, Berkeley

Acceptances:
    Stanford($$$), Princeton($$$), Chicago($$), Berkeley($$), MIT(waitlist for funding)
    Rejections: Stanford GSB, HBS, Yale
    Attending: Probably Stanford, MIT or Harvard (depending on whether I get off the waiting lists)
    Comments:

What would you have done differently? Overall I'm very happy about the results. Maybe I could talk more with professors at my exchange school about my term papers in IO and finance to get an additional letter and to increase the chances for the business school programs.
    Last edited by tm_member; 03-21-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Corrected GRE scores

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information