Urch Forums

Profile Eval MA/Msc

doodlesq

Hi All, I've got one year left in my undergrad and am looking for a bit of advice. My main interests are Micro and Metrics and I'm looking mainly to apply to Msc programs in Europe, but I'm also open to MA programs in North America. I'm curious what my chances are at the top schools like LSE, UCL, BGSE etc and if there are the schools I should be looking at. Secondly I know very little about the GREs, what scores will I need to get into these top European programs? Also if you have any other suggestions of courses I should take or other things I should do over my last year to improve my profile considering I'll be applying in January.

Would appreciate any help with these questions, thanks!

Type of Undergrad: Top Canadian school, Honours Econ, Minors in Math and Poli Sci

Undergrad GPA: 3.74/4

GRE: Writing soon

Math Courses: Calc 1 (A-), Calc 2 (A-), Linear Algebra 1 (B+), Calc 3 (A-), Linear Algebra 2 (A), Differential Equations (A), This year: Calc 4, Probability, Matrix Numerical Analysis

Econ Courses: Intro Micro (A), Intro Macro (A), Econ Crises (A-), Full year Micro (A), Full year Econ Stats (A), Full year Macro (A-), Public Sector Econ (A) Econometrics I (A), Econometrics II (A), This year: Full year Advanced Econ Theory, Labour Econ, History of Thought

​Letters of Recommendation: Planning on asking a well-known Econometrics prof and a prof I'm working for as an RA this summer

Canadian student, about to start my MA in the fall so I'm just gonna relay what I've seen around here.

If money is of no concern, there obviously are some big name US MA programs like Duke, Boston U, NYU, etc. But as far as I know, they're all unfunded. Big name European MSc's also don't seem to be funded (LSE, UCL, etc.), but there are some funded options. For Canadian options, you'll see everyone here has Toronto/UBC/UWO/Queens grouped into the top tier and the second tier is composed of SFU, Montreal, McMaster, etc. With your profile, I'd bet you'll pretty much get funded offers from everywhere in Canada, although UWO seems rather tricky to predict, as long as you're a Canadian citizen or permanent res status.

Looking at your profile, if you added real analysis, you might be able to get into some decent US PhD programs as well. That is given your goal is a PhD program. As for the GRE, I keep reading around here that only the quant section really matters and you want to score above 160Q, otherwise you might get the auto-reject. I never wrote the GRE myself so no personal experience there.

doodlesq i take it you're at mcgill? a few people in my year got into LSE masters with similar profiles. i got into BGSE & Queens with a significantly worse profile. you should be fine. Edited by flopson
over-zealous autocorrect

doodlesq i take it you're at mcgill? a few people in my year got into LSE masters with similar profiles. i got into BGSE & Queens with a significantly worse profile. you should be fine.

Haha yes good deduction. Glad to heard it though, as LSE would probably be my top choice right now .