Urch Forums

Chances to top 5 after a msc in economics

gentingk

Hi,

What are the chances of students gaining access to a PhD programme in economics after this programme : https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/economics/coursefinder/msceconomics2yearprogramme.aspx.

What would the chances be to get into a top 5 programme on the assumption of getting 70% / a Distinction grade. I know this question is broad and a bunch of other factors come into play like LORS and GRE.

Doesn't seem like a very rigorous program. Ask them for their academic placements if you're thinking of applying.

I also tend to recommend most people in your position not to solely think in terms of the range of programs you want to target, but how best to train yourselves for future research. Chances are, you don't really have a good idea of how you compare to other prospective economic students; nor what the careers of, say, a top 50 econ graduate looks like.

Hi,

What are the chances of students gaining access to a PhD programme in economics after this programme : https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/economics/coursefinder/msceconomics2yearprogramme.aspx.

What would the chances be to get into a top 5 programme on the assumption of getting 70% / a Distinction grade. I know this question is broad and a bunch of other factors come into play like LORS and GRE.

If you want to make a top 5 out of a British masters, your best shot would be from Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, or UCL. After that, it becomes much more difficult but there have been successful applicants from less prestigious universities.