Urch Forums

Non-Degree student for Math Coursework - Question(s)

Econhead

My wife is receiving significantly better offers than I am, and unless something pans out (seems rather hail-marry like to me at this point), it appears that we'd be better off taking her best offer and choosing for me not to attend. I would only do this, of course, if I am able to take courses as a non-degree student nearby so that I could improve my profile while waiting. The crux of my poor application is my poor undergraduate math-I worked extensively, and prior to finding Urch I didn't understand the importance. I found Urch 2 years after I graduated-poor grades are still following me.

That said, I am considering reapplying in 2 years, and retaking Calc2-3, DiffEQ, Real Analysis, and perhaps another course before reapplying. I would no longer be working 40-60 hours a week, giving me the time needed to study. (Something I haven't had for the last 4 years).

The question: Generally speaking, do private universities allow this, or is this mostly something that only state-schools allow? I'm not suggesting anything like Princeton-something that'd be in the comparable Econ ranking of T20-T40.

Thanks,

Econ

Yes, I took non-degree courses at two good private universities. You should be able to find information about this on the internet for individual schools, no?

Yes, I was just hoping for a rather broad answer that might be a catch all, given that this is still relatively early. As time draws nearer, and if this becomes a more realistic possibility, I will certainly be looking at specific universities.

I do appreciate the answer. Both of you.

As far as I know, almost all universities have some kind of student-at-large or continuing education program that you can take classes through. Just a couple examples.You should be able to take undergrad or even graduate classes through them, especially if your spouse is a grad student at the same school.

The cost can be fairly high (usually $1-5k per class), and you'll generally have lower priority if you're trying to get into high-demand classes, but it's a very viable option. The question is how much schools will weigh those classes against your undergrad record, but I'm not sure any of us can answer that.

Are you trying to take in the same college or a nearby college as your spouse? If you are open to other alternatives, I know Illinois offers distance learning math classes. https://netmath.illinois.edu/college up to probability theory. Just another option.

At a nearby college. Not looking to do anything online. -For a variety of reasons. I do appreciate the link, though.

Yes, I went to an Ivy for undergrad and met some people taking non-degree classes. The math classes were usually large lectures, so they didn't generally fill up, so I don't think it would have been difficult to get in even if you were given low priority. However unless you find a job at the university that provides a tuition benefit, it would be expensive.