Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation (for 2016 entry)

Hi!

I posted a while back looking for Filipinos currently doing their PhD or applying for one. I got a few private messages and got a few tips and advice. I figured asking for more advice wouldn’t hurt and is worth a try.

I would just like to ask what are my chances of getting accepted into a good masters. Eventually, I would like to pursue a PhD (hopefully, in a top ranking school). I have more specific questions below.

A number of people might be able to figure out who I am based on this profile. Hi!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Double degree in Applied Mathematics and Economics (from a top private university in the Philippines)

Undergrad GPA: 3.62/4.00; cum laude for getting a GPA of at least 3.50

Type of Grad: 1-year Masters in Applied Mathematics (currently taking)

Grad GPA: too early to tell, still currently taking

GRE: will be taking it in August, hoping for 165Q/155V or better

Math Courses (undergrad-level): Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, ODE, Probability, Time Series and Forecasting, Real Analysis, Scientific Computing. Also, seminars in PDE, operations research and financial math. (All A’s and B+’s)

Math Courses (grad-level): Advanced Stat Methods, Intro to Options. Both still currently taking. Will be taking more in the coming months

Econ Courses (grad-level): None

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro & Macro, Intro to Math Econ, Intro to Econometrics, International Econ, Development Econ, Theory and Practice of Social Development, Econ of Natural Resources. Also, a workshop in urban econ. (All A’s and B+’s)

Other Courses: A few finance and accounting classes

Letters of Recommendation: Hopefully: (1) thesis adviser who also taught me international eco, (2) macro and social development teacher (with whom I did a big group project under – we worked with a government hospital for this), (3) stat teacher (for time series and forecasting, statistical simulation – part of scientific computing, and currently for advanced statistical methods; we had research projects in those classes). They are not from top European/US universities but they can vouch for my performance in class and research skills.

Research Experience: Undergraduate economics thesis (in a group of 3) on econ networks with econometrics (got 3rd place in the department’s best thesis awards). Applied research projects (also done in groups) in math classes (ODE, time series and forecasting, scientific computing), and economics classes (intro to econometrics, development econ, urban econ).

Teaching Experience: currently a summer semester lecturer for undergraduate intermediate macro

Research Interests: Econometrics and quantitative econ, macro, financial econ

SOP: Will expound on some of my class projects. Will also try to tailor my SOP depending on the program and school.

Concerns: Degrees from internationally unknown institution. LORs are from people adcoms most likely do not know. Research experience mostly from school work, no RA experience. GPA could be better.

Applying to: Mostly masters programs including LSE EME, Duke MSEM, SSE, CEMFI, Bocconi ESS, BGSE. Hoping to pull up my chances for a top PhD program.

Do you think that, with my current profile, I could be competitive in applications for top 20 PhD programs? If not, in which bracket are my chances not bad?

Should I pursue a masters program to bump up my chances?

What are my chances for the masters programs I listed above?

Are there other programs you think I should check?

Thank you very much for any help you can give!

• 2 months later...

I'm still interested in hearing from this forum.

Some updates to my profile: I took my GRE and the unofficial scores are 170Q/162V. I also finished my two graduate classes and I got good grades in them.

Do you think my current profile could be competitive in applications for top 20 PhD? In top 40, maybe?

Application season is coming soon and I'm cutting down the list of schools I plan to apply to. It's currently a list of 30+ (PhD and Masters mix) and it might be too costly to implement. :)

Thank you!