Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRE score for grad school: submit or not?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

GRE score for grad school: submit or not?

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi there.

I am doing applications for some master degree programs, and I am just no idea whether I have to turn in my gre scores.
    I have two gre scores,

1. V: 155, Q: 167, AWA: 3.5
    2. V: 153, Q: 161, AWA: 4.0

even though it is master program, but few of them are doctoral stream so I think GRE score will be important. I am worrying the AWA 3.5. On second exam, I got 4.0 on AWA but I just screwed up Quant and verbal. I am math major so the 161 in Quant is indeed critical and may give a bad impression. Should I turn in only first exam or both? I hope I retake the exam but I do not have enough time to meet their deadlines.

Good post? Yes | No

Re: GRE score for grad school: submit or not?

Math major with Q161?

I think that turning in a Q161 would be a death sentence - I'd do the 167/155. I'm just an undergrad though that's what everyone else is going to say. Sucks you got a 3.5, don't know how important it is for the schools you're applying to!

Good post? Yes | No

Yes, that was too bad. Well, I just took the second one in the middle of semester when I quite struggled in **** tons of school works. I totally agree. my math major GPA is near 3.95 and the Q161 may be considered as kind of depreciation of my undergrad math performance. But the 3.5 sucks! I have researched accepted applicants' profile and there are rarely who admitted with AWA less than 4.0.

Good post? Yes | No

Could you list the math classes you took? This could be important.. I mean I think it's 99% you go with the higher Q score but maybe the rigor of your math classes COULD influence this decision. It's the last thing to check (other than the list of schools you're applying to).

Good post? Yes | No

Cal I-III, Linear Algebra, Differential Equation(In progress), Intro to probability, Intro to real analysis, Theoretical Stats(though Stats is not a math, lol), Intro to abstract Algebra(In progress), Dynamical System(In progress, grad level), Numerical Analysis, Math for economists,
    + Intermediate econometrics.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Okay well in my opinion you do not have enough math to post a 161Q score. Maybe others will disagree but you didn't dive very deep into the math department, so I don't think adcoms would write it off as a fluke.

Don't get me wrong you have enough math to go to PhD if the other posters on this site are any indication. But I would need to see a year of intro to real, a year of upper level real analysis, a year of modern algebra, maybe some geometry/topology and optimization or complex analysis before I would say "yeah you are clearly extremely well prepared for math, theres no way you got a 161Q from anything other than a crazy fluke".

Of course.... lol I still would probably recommend posting the 167Q score. Good luck that's all I got! Also note if you come from an unknown school then the 161Q is even worse since adcoms won't know the rigor of your coursework!

Good post? Yes | No

Thanks, I agree. Btw can you recommend.. about 4 math courses that I should complement for my future phD application? I am thinking of taking them in my master. I roughly thought that Topology, Measure theory and advanced probability. What's your opinion?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

I wish I could give you a good opinion on that Sadly I am an undergraduate student who is applying next year.

Hm.. yes I really am not comfortable telling you which math classes you should take to maximize your chances, this is your life and I am just not informed on this topic. Sorry, hopefully someone else will be!

I wish I had asked this myself before - in fact

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Ballycan View Post
    Hi there.

I am doing applications for some master degree programs, and I am just no idea whether I have to turn in my gre scores.
    I have two gre scores,

1. V: 155, Q: 167, AWA: 3.5
    2. V: 153, Q: 161, AWA: 4.0

even though it is master program, but few of them are doctoral stream so I think GRE score will be important. I am worrying the AWA 3.5. On second exam, I got 4.0 on AWA but I just screwed up Quant and verbal. I am math major so the 161 in Quant is indeed critical and may give a bad impression. Should I turn in only first exam or both? I hope I retake the exam but I do not have enough time to meet their deadlines.
    Submit the first one. Especially if you are not a native speaker. 3.5AWA isn't great, but 161Q is a much bigger red flag in economics. Depending on the masters programs you're applying to, it may not matter. That said, choose the first option.

cal

Good post? Yes | No

why not give once more GRE and go with better results. Think of long term success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information