Urch Forums

Rankings by concentration?

JB1

Hi all,

Is there any comprehensive ranking of US Phd (and/or Masters) programs by concentration? I'm looking more so for non-top schools that can be pretty strong in some concentrations despite relatively lower overall rankings. I don't have a particular school or concentration in mind. Just wondering if such a resource exists.

Hi all,

Is there any comprehensive ranking of US Phd (and/or Masters) programs by concentration? I'm looking more so for non-top schools that can be pretty strong in some concentrations despite relatively lower overall rankings. I don't have a particular school or concentration in mind. Just wondering if such a resource exists.

For rankings by field, your best bet is:

https://ideas.repec.org/top/

Scroll toward the bottom where it says "Top institutions by field".

For rankings by field, your best bet is:

https://ideas.repec.org/top/

Scroll toward the bottom where it says "Top institutions by field".

I don't agree this is a good way to rank programs.

1. This is a rank by institutions, not programs.

2. This is a rank by *aggregate* contributions of professors in an institution. Large institutions, like LSE or PSE, are over-represented by a factor of 6-10 compared to Yale or MIT.

3. It takes the harmonic mean of a number of different metrics for faculty that are not always relevant for graduate students.

For applicants to PhD programs, I do not think there is (yet) a good ranking of programs by field. USNWR has top 15 or so for each field, based on peer reputation, but that's it. For most students, I think your best shot is simply to ask your professors for great programs in your field, and/or create a list of authors for papers, journals, or references that are representative of your interest.

For example, look up the Journal of Monetary Economics and both their editors list and the authors of their recent publications. Then combine that with your assessment on what range of programs you're competitive for. It's not hard to come up with a list of 15 schools that's generally better in macro among all second-tier (e.g. #15-#50) U.S. programs.

(And if you choose to do that and feel confident about your selection, you can even post your field ranking here after the admission season. We need more information like this.)

• 2 weeks later...