Urch Forums

Full Professor = Tenure ?

Prometheus_Econ

I've been wondering about this for a while. Are all full professors tenured? It seems like there are often specific names in front of professors, like Class of 65 Professor, or something like that. Does that just refer to where their funding comes from? Also, I know that some associate professors have tenure. How often does this happen?

Another thing I'm puzzled with is that certain economics professors (who are full professors, like Susan Athey) seem to move around between departments a lot. What is the motivation for moving? Are they hired by other schools through bigger offers, or do they perhaps want to collaborate with people in the other schools? I would think that at some point in life it might be very stressful to move around a lot, so I was wondering what the main incentive for full professors to move between departments is (aside from professors visiting other departments for a semester, which is different).

I've been wondering about this for a while. Are all full professors tenured?

I believe so.

It seems like there are often specific names in front of professors, like Class of 65 Professor, or something like that. Does that just refer to where their funding comes from?

Yes, these are called "endowed chairs."

Another thing I'm puzzled with is that certain economics professors (who are full professors, like Susan Athey) seem to move around between departments a lot. What is the motivation for moving? Are they hired by other schools through bigger offers, or do they perhaps want to collaborate with people in the other schools?

Collaboration and money are certainly two main reasons. Geography is another reason, people may just want to be in a certain area for whatever reason. I don't think professors are a whole lot different than other people in that respect.

One difference though, is if you're a professor at, say, a top five school and want to get away from your dept. for whatever reason, your other options are going to be limited -- you can't just get another job at the tech firm or retail outlet or whatever down the street.

As for Athey, she's been at three schools, and been at each for 5-6 years. I wouldn't call that moving a lot.

There are "chaired professors" who have an extra title. That is one step above full professor. Full professors (at every university of which I am aware) are tenured.

Some associate professors are tenured, and some are not. (They will occasionally write "Associate Professor (With Tenure)" in their CVs if they are indeed tenured.) This depends on the university. The UC system does not have an associate professor without tenure position. All their associate professors are tenured. MIT and Harvard elevate their assistant professors to associate professors without tenure after six or seven years if they want to delay an extra year before making the final tenure decision.

Assistant professors are not tenured.

It is my understanding that Susan Athey's moves have been due to her dual job search. Her husband is Guido Imbens. (They are an awesome couple!) Harvard made them both an offer last year, which they accepted. (Guido was at Berkeley, and Susan was at Stanford at the time.)

Thanks for all that info. It definitely makes sense now that you've mentioned Imbens and Athey are a couple.

So what perks come with endowed chairs. Do they provide additional funding?

Also, some professors have dual appointments in different departments, or are professors by courtesy in another department. What exactly are the benefits of having this?

Also, some professors have dual appointments in different departments, or are professors by courtesy in another department. What exactly are the benefits of having this?

The main perk associated with an endowed chair is the prestige associated with it. I imagine that holding such a chair also means that the professor is making quite a bit of money, especially since they are reserved for people who have made a lot of progress in their careers.

The joint appointments in multiple departments seem just to be something additional a professor can put on his/her CV. It might be the case that jointly appointed professors have some voting power in the different committees, but I don't know how it works. In any case, it is my understanding that there is no additional money involved.

As Antichron said, I think it is mainly the prestige. In my dad's case, it also meant an allocation of $1000/year to spend on "work related" materials. It was with that money that we bought our first home computer ;).

Edit: I think some of the funding comes from the person (or organization) whose name is attached to the chair, but that professor doesn't actually get a higher salary. Although sometimes an endowed chair does come with a raise.