Urch Forums

Purdue

mosfro

Hey everyone, happy monday

just wanted to remind everyone that March starts this week, so we're almost there, dont go jumping off rooftops just yet!

I was wondering if anyone has received any word from Purdue, it seems like notifications went out this time of year last year.

Good luck to all

• Like 1

I haven't. But based on correspondence with the grad secretary (on matters unrelated to admission decisions), it seems like the adcom started reviewing later than most other universities. Plus the homepage now says that applications will still be accepted until March 31. So I am not expecting word out of Purdue until well into March.

• 2 weeks later...
I submitted my application in January. Today I called and asked the graduate secretary what's the timeframe for decisions. She only said that it will happen in the next few weeks, more precisely, in March. I actually feel quite pessimistic about my chances after my previous rejections. Their web site says that they have about 100 graduate students, which means that probably 50 are in Economics program, and so they probably take in only 10 people per year. But then, maybe due to smaller size, they also review the applications more carefully (which might benefit me due to an unusual record)..

wobo82, i see that you're in at maryland. that considered, would you still accept an offer to pudue? assuming of course that there isn't a significant difference in funding.

I'm in at Maryland Ag Econ, actually. I am keeping my options open... but if it comes down to a nicely funded Ag Econ offer vs. say Purdue, I will have some soul searching to do. There's the whole Ag Econ vs. straight Econ dimension that I'll have to consider. Unless of course it's Berkeley ARE.

My interests are in development, trade and the like. I like Purdue's GTAP a lot. I'm not sure if Maryland AREC does enough in these areas to satisfy my interests. Guess I'll find out more at the fly-out.

My impression is that Maryland AREC does a good amount of development. If you could reach from there to the straight econ part, you might be able to pick up trade. Is that possible? Beats me.

I'm definitely leaning towards Maryland right now...though Minnesota's fellowship looks very, very attractive. Am I the only one who applied to Minn APEC here? Anyways....congrats butler_blue on UCLA. Superb admit!

Okay back to Purdue...

Purdue's incoming class is indeed small. I heard they accepted 8 or so last year, of which 3 were exchange students.

wobo82, do you have any information about the current strength of the Purdue program? Where is it good at right now? The current profiles of faculty seem not to provide much info. Thanks!

I haven't. But based on correspondence with the grad secretary (on matters unrelated to admission decisions), it seems like the adcom started reviewing later than most other universities. Plus the homepage now says that applications will still be accepted until March 31. So I am not expecting word out of Purdue until well into March.

Congrat to those admitted [clap]. I also received an email from Purdue that I am in and details of the offer is in the mail being sent to me soon. I submitted my application and supporting materials in mid Feb.

treasuries, I don't know anything about the strength of the program that you couldn't get from their website. Anyway I haven't been admitted.:whistle: IF I am I know a current student I can get in touch with.

Thanks, wobo82! I'm also waiting for the result from Purdue. :luck2: It would be nice to know what the focus of the faculty members who are actively advising students in their dissertation. Questions like: is Aliprantis still active in advising students who wants to specialize in math econ? Does he have a preference for a certain type of student? Is Dahl good as an adviser? Something like these. :hmm:

Congratulations to the ones who got in already! [clap]

I'm definitely leaning towards Maryland right now...though Minnesota's fellowship looks very, very attractive. Am I the only one who applied to Minn APEC here? Anyways....congrats butler_blue on UCLA. Superb admit!

Okay back to Purdue...

off topic maybe...but i applied to Minnesota APEC. Got accepted without funding, though I made my top school (Maryland AREC).