Urch Forums

Is taking GRE two times bad?

mfarhanmajid

I am supposed to take gre in three days, but my scores in math is around 750, and not 800 as i wanted. I feel my verbal is not bad- got 630 in prep test... but if i get time i can perhopas improve my verbal even more.. my analytical is decent... i am considering cancelling my test and delaying it.. but do u guyz really think that cancelling is a good idea? the following are the schools i am thinking to apply, but i dont know whether they take highest scores , average them or what?

cornell, ucla, washu, yale, wisconson, jhu, berkeley, nyu, rochester.

i would appreciate ur timely comments in this regard.

thnx

First of all, don't worry about verbal. 630 is good for an American student. It comes down to whether you want to spend more time and money studying for the GRE and whether that will help you improve your score. I don't know if a 750 will get you into your schools of choice.

I got into JHU, which is on your list, with a 760 quant score. But the rest of my profile was pretty strong and I had A's in applied linear algebra, diff. eq's, adv. calc, graduate level Real Analysis, and graduate level Topology, along with others. So I think my other math coursework probably eased their fears about my mathematical ability.

I definitely agree that 790 is probaby the minimum quant score for MOST people applying to top 20 schools, which most on your list are. I got rejected from every top 20 program I applied to, I don't know how different my outcomes would have been with an 800 quant, but I gotta think maybe a little.

thanks a lot... what do u guyz know about the norm in adcoms for GRE.. if I take it twice.. do most schools ( listed above , and any other top 20's) take highest scores....

One my classmate in my MA in Maths told me he took the GRE 5 times so he could get 800, which he eventually did, and it was a pretty competitive program. I am not very sure about econ Phd, but I just don't see how taking a "standardized test" multiple times could have any negative effect on your whole application. Furthermore, a lot Phd programs like to publish their statistics, and often they will choose the highest set scores from each candidate. Just my 2 cents. I would not worry about taking the GRE twice, especially if you do very well the second time around. Good luck on your test, study hard and make sure you get an 800 in quant, it will help you a lot. Also visit the math forum here, it is very good, the quant GRE is a bit harder than it used to be, but still easy.

IMHO, if you have enough time, you should cancel the test and postpone it until you are consistently reaching more than 780 on the quant. If there`s room for improvement and you have time for it, you should definitely try it. Less than that score will make a damage to your application (I am not saying that it won`t be able to overcome that). Even financially, I think it would be wise, because retaking the test (if I remember correctly) is considerably more expensive than paying the cancelation fee.

The verbal is fine. I don`t know how you have any idea about the analytical (you aren`t using old, not essay-based, tests, right?).Good luck anyway, whatever you choose to do.

if money is not a problem then i would say take the test and if you feel that you haven't done very well then just cancel the scores :D

this is not a good advice. You usually tend to feel worse than your actual performance. I was very tempted to cancel my scores because I thought I did horribly and I ended up with 800Q.

this is not a good advice. You usually tend to feel worse than your actual performance. I was very tempted to cancel my scores because I thought I did horribly and I ended up with 800Q.

Aren't you told your scores for the Verbal and Quantitative section before you're asked to accept or cancel the scores? I remember seeing my scores the day I took the test, but cannot remember if I were asked to accept or cancel before or after I saw them.

Aren't you told your scores for the Verbal and Quantitative section before you're asked to accept or cancel the scores? I remember seeing my scores the day I took the test, but cannot remember if I were asked to accept or cancel before or after I saw them.

no, they first ask you if you want to cancel and then tell you the score