Urch Forums

Development Economics or Public Economics?

asa_sl

Generally, both public finance and development are fields within econ departments. You apply to the department, and choose your fields in your second year. So long as you focus on schools that are strong in both fields, you don't have to choose which to specialize in until you've already been accepted. (Also, you will need 2 fields, so you can do both development and public).

Generally, both public finance and development are fields within econ departments. You apply to the department, and choose your fields in your second year. So long as you focus on schools that are strong in both fields, you don't have to choose which to specialize in until you've already been accepted. (Also, you will need 2 fields, so you can do both development and public).

thanx for the reply.

what do u think better to choose in second year.

What is more interesting develeopment or public finance ?

That's a question about your individual interests. It's something you can decide by attending seminars, reading papers, and talking to people who study each field. But none of us can tell you about your own preferences.

thanx . but I am more like numerical stuffs than reading stuffs.

I heard that development economics is not much use numerical analysis .

Is that true?

Development economics is often used as a catch-all phrase for any research about developing or transitional economies. The range of methodologies that can be used is very wide. Most typical of the field now are models and empirical strategies from labor and macro. PF models are also frequently used in development. And there is some extremely technical work on financial markets and growth. You can often choose your research tools separately from your research topics, and development economics can be as quantitative as you want to make it.

Development economics is often used as a catch-all phrase for any research about developing or transitional economies. The range of methodologies that can be used is very wide. Most typical of the field now are models and empirical strategies from labor and macro. PF models are also frequently used in development. And there is some extremely technical work on financial markets and growth. You can often choose your research tools separately from your research topics, and development economics can be as quantitative as you want to make it.

thanx mate. appreciate your advise.

So development economics is more wider than public econ right?

It's just impossible to draw the black-and-white distinctions between fields or characteristics of fields that you seem to be going for. Public finance typically covers government expenditures and government revenues. Already, these are very broad areas that include everything from tax policy to education spending to public works construction to many issues of political economy. It can cover those topics in developing and industrialized countries. Development economics includes these and many, many other topics, but traditionally only in developing economies. Neither is a strict subset of the other.

Here's a related question, that maybe you can add some input to.

What is the main difference between a field in Development, and a field in Growth? There seem to be many parallels, but it seems that development is a "micro" field while growth is a "macro" field.

I'm pretty naive about this as you can tell.

development is micro ?:hmm: I thought it is a macro field since it take care of entire economy of developing contries.

Here's a related question, that maybe you can add some input to.

What is the main difference between a field in Development, and a field in Growth? There seem to be many parallels, but it seems that development is a "micro" field while growth is a "macro" field.

I'm pretty naive about this as you can tell.

Most schools combine micro and macro development issues into one field. But if a school had separate fields in development and growth, then I think the micro/macro distinction would be correct.

Most of development is definitely micro, dealing with financial markets, labor, family structures, things like that. From what I understand, growth is generally a dry field right now. That's not to say you can't do it, but it's not a hot topic now and most of development is going to be focused elsewhere.
  • Like 1

All kidding aside, there has been quite a bit of research on the "deep determinants" of growth within the last five years or so. It is not as active a field as microeconomics of development, but I don't think it is accurate to say that it's dry or over. (Off the top of my head, see Acemoglu et al., AER 2001, Foster and Rosenzweig, 2001, Burgess and Pande AER 2005, Rodrik et al. 2002.)

Most of development is definitely micro, dealing with financial markets, labor, family structures, things like that. From what I understand, growth is generally a dry field right now. That's not to say you can't do it, but it's not a hot topic now and most of development is going to be focused elsewhere.

so that means I can do financial markets research on developing countries under the field of development economics? right?

As has been previously mentioned, development economics is a very broad field and you should have no problem finding a school that would be a suitable match working in financial markets in developing countries. Personally, I work more on the micro aspect of development, but know of many individuals still interested in financial markets in developing countries (I even took a course the past year on this topic) or on the macro level if that interests you more. My advice would be to examine the course offerings within the fields for the schools you are considering and of course find schools with faculty that most closely match your interests. I am much less familiar with Public Economics, but if both interest you I imagine it would not be hard for you to incorporate both into your program and research.