Urch Forums

#113: The government has announced that it plans t

Erin

#113: The government has announced that it plans to build a new university. Some people think that your community would be a good place to locate the university. Compare the advantages and disadvantages of establishing a new university in your community. Use specific details in your discussion.

• 1 year later...

Topic #113:

The government has announced that it plans to build a new university.

Some people think that your community would be a good place to locate

the university. Compare the advantages and disadvantages of establishing

a new university in your community. Use specific details in your

discussion.

People sometimes talk about the advantages and disadvantages when building

structures in their community. Of many advantages and disadvantages,

i think that the most representative advantage of it is the development of

community and the disadvantage is complexity.

On the one hand, building university in my community makes it developed

in many aspects like housing and economy. To support the people who work at

university, my community would have more houses. In addition to this, the

people buy many commodities in my community. These points like many people,

many house, vigorous economic life of people would make my community make

more developed and energetic.

On the other hand, building university in my community would make my

community more complex. These many complexities mean that my community

would have more people, more cars, more noises, and more pollutions. These

complexities lead my community to more bad place to live in.

In conclusion, building university can produce a good or bad influence

on my community. Although there can be many benefits and drawbacks to every

person, I think that the representative advantage is the development of my

community and the disadvantage is its complexity due to many people

and its caused detrimental effects.

Hi Ditomar,

I liked your essay, I am novice in writing and that was very interesting for me to read it.

This is interesting type of essay question and you addressed the question very well. You reviewed both impactes, positive and negative. I have read some stuff about structures and can say that your essay is very well structured. If time allowed I am sure you would have provided more clear details to support the advantage and disadvatage of establishing a new University in your community. and also, make stress that it is University, not just factory or plant.

I can't judge your grammatical and punctuation mistakes, you can see mines, ;) :)

At this stage I concern on address and structure of my essays.

So wish you good luck. And keep working as I will do.

Dear all!

I have written an essay on this topic. At first I understood the topic the same way as you, Ditoman. But then when I finished I thought that we might have misunderstood the topic. We should discuss not advantages and disadvantages for our community, but whether our community is a good or a bad place to built a university. I mean why the government should build it in our community, but not in another one?

Dear test-magicians and anyone, could you clarify this?

#113: The government has announced that it plans to build a new university. Some people think that your community would be a good place to locate the university. Compare the advantages and disadvantages of establishing a new university in your community. Use specific details in your discussion.

At first glance, establishing a new university at my hometown seems to be an excellent idea. However, there are both advantages and disadvantages and there is a lot to be discussed before building a university. The major issues concern conveniences for young people, the quality of education and possible changes in the lives of other citizens in my town.

One of the main advantages is that building a new university can be good for the youth. My hometown Gatchina is quite small and is located near the Russian 'second capital city' St.-Petersburg. Nowadays most of the young people get higher education at institutes and universities of St.-Petersburg. The way to the city takes for some people more than an hour one-way. Since there are a lot of students who live farther from the city, the places in dormitories are rarely available for those from Gatchina. As a result, the youth of Gatchina wishing to pursue a graduate degree have either to rent quite expensive apartments in the city or spend at about three hours a day on their way to St.-Petersburg and backwards. For sure, establishing a new university in Gatchina will help to solve this problem since more young people will decide to study in their own hometown.

However, there are some certain disadvantages. The main point is the quality of education. The quality of education is undoubtedly very high in St.-Petersburg. Meanwhile, the new built university in my hometown may not be of the same high standards, as it will be difficult especially during the first years to attract exceptionally qualified professors. Another point is that Gatchina is a very peaceful place now. Students spend a lot of their leisure time in St.-Petersburg after their studying. But if a new university is built, more young people will stay in the evenings in the town. Though it can give rise for entertainment business in Gatchina, the image of the town will be changed. These changes may not be favourable to other citizens, particularly senior ones, who like Gatchina due to its quietness.

Consequently, building a new university in my community will has both benefits and drawbacks. On the one hand, it will be more convenient for the young people as the way to the city takes much time now. On the other hand, the quality of education can be lower in my town in comparison with that pursued in the city and it will make my town not as quiet as it is now.