Urch Forums

#143: Some people believe that students should be

Erin

#143: Some people believe that students should be given one long vacation each year. Others believe that students should have several short vacations throughout the year. Which viewpoint do you agree with? Use specific reasons and examples to support your choice.

Almost all the students like vacations, because vacations mean free time without class, more time to sleep and more fun with friends. However, here comes a question. Should students be given one long vacation each year or several short vacations throughout the year? After comparing the two forms of vacation, I come to my answer that the several short vacations are better choices.

To begin with, Short vacations can recharge students sufficiently. After a period of study time, students need rest. They can choose a short-distance trip, visiting friends, playing tennis or just sleeping at home. Students are refreshed and get ready for future study after several days of rest, accordingly, they can continue their study effectively when they go back school. People often get tired after a long vacation.

On the other hand, students will not forget the knowledge they learn before a short vacation. Nevertheless, long vacation makes students far away from their studies. A year's study makes students bored and exhausted. It is hard to concentrate on the subjects all year long, thus decreasing the study effectiveness. In addition, during the long vacation after the school year, students spend too much time on activities that have nothing to do with the study. Surprisingly, when the vacation is over, students forget most of the knowledge that they learn in the past school year, and it will take much more time to review the lessons. Also, students will find it hard to go back to studies.

Moreover, short vacations prevent students from being too far away from the school thus reduce possible accidents. Because of short vacations, students can only spend the holidays in the near area so that the possible accidents could be avoided. It is a peak time of accidents during vacations. Some students get lost in forest exploration and some suffer a car accident during the long vacation. Short vacations, however, seldom involve accidents.

To conclude, for the efficient study and the students' safety, I believe that several short vacations throughout the school year outweigh a long vacation after a school year. I suggest that students should be given several short vacations throughout the school year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, it's me again!!:D

I'm practiceing my essays now everyday, so i hope somebody can help me with it!:o THANK YOU VERY MUCH

#143: Some people believe that students should be given one long vacation each year. Others believe that students should have several short vacations throughout the year. Which viewpoint do you agree with? Use specific reasons and examples to support your choice.

I think every student love holidays, if you would ask them, I’m sure nearly everybody would say they want to have a long holiday. But in my opinion it’s better if you have several short holidays instead of one. There are several reasons that I think so, for example: Students can better study, parents are more relaxed, and teacher would be nicer.

First of all, I think if students have several short holidays, they can better study. For example, if they only have one holiday they will get very exhausted before the holidays. If they study a whole year without a break, I think every student’s capacity will be much worse than in the beginning. So, if students have several breaks they can relax and start school with new power again.

Second, I think only one long holiday is also for the parents not very good, because so their kids will stay home for several weeks, even month. And that makes that parents just send their kids to camps, so they don’t have to care for them all the time. Whereas I think if kids would have several short holidays, their parents could enjoy the time which they can spend together.

Third, I think several holidays are good for teachers as well, because they, like the students, have to attend the school the whole time too, if there is only one holiday. I can imagine that a teacher who has to teach a very bad and lazy class doesn’t like to do that, as a result he might get angry and doesn’t listen to the student’s problems.

So, all in all I think if schools have several holidays, it would be much better for everybody, the students, the parents and the teachers.

I myself always wanted to have long holidays, but if I think about it, it was very good to have several short holidays, because I wouldn’t want to wait one whole year until I have my next holidays.

• 8 months later...

------------

Holidays are not only important for students, but for every body. That is the time when people relax after a period of working, thus they get the energy back to work again, and that is the way they enjoy their lives. The question is whether students should be given one long vacation each year or they should have several short vacations throughout the year. In my opinion, choice of several short vacations is better for the following results.

Firstly, studying is hard work. If students have a long vacation each year, it would be difficult to get back to study, becouse they may forget much knowledge during the long vacation. Many researches have shown that after long time not doing spiritual works, people tend to be lazy, and have difficulties to get back to these kinds of works.

Secondly, having breaks during studying is also important. Noone can study for long times without breaks. In some places where students don't have many vacations studying time is more than in other schools, but their results are not better. Students get up with studying after long, boring period studying time.

Several short vacations turn out to be good. After each holiday students refresh, and studying is not like a hard, enduring work. In my school we have summer vacation, which is 2 month long, winter vacation, which is 3 week long and about 5 other shorter holidays, and we don't feel fed up with school.

To sum up, I think for many reasons, only one long vacation is not referable not only to me, but to many students. And it is the fact that nowadays, there are very few schools, which give student few but long vacations instead of serveral short holidays. That is the efficient way of education.

Originally posted by matek

------------

Holidays are not only important for students, but for every body. That is the time when people relax after a period of working, thus they get the energy back to work again, and that is the way they enjoy their lives. The question is whether students should be given one long vacation each year or they should have several short vacations throughout the year. In my opinion, choice of several short vacations is better for the following results.

Firstly, studying is hard work. If students have a long vacation each year, it would be difficult to get back to study, becouse they may forget much knowledge during the long vacation. Many researches have shown that after long time not doing spiritual works, people tend to be lazy, and have difficulties to get back to these kinds of works.

Secondly, having breaks during studying is also important. Noone can study for long times without breaks. In some places where students don't have many vacations studying time is more than in other schools, but their results are not better. Students get up with studying after long, boring period studying time.

Several short vacations turn out to be good. After each holiday students refresh, and studying is not like a hard, enduring work. In my school we have summer vacation, which is 2 month long, winter vacation, which is 3 week long and about 5 other shorter holidays, and we don't feel fed up with school.

To sum up, I think for many reasons, only one long vacation is not referable not only to me, but to many students. And it is the fact that nowadays, there are very few schools, which give student few but long vacations instead of serveral short holidays. That is the efficient way of education.

Hi, Matek.

I think your essay starts out strong, but you should take a look at strengthening the body of the work with better examples. First, clearly state what your main points are (e.g. breaks are important, studying is hard work, etc.) and then support them with concrete, even personal, examples of each.

The body of the essay looks organized, but the third paragraph doesn't really introduce a main point. Instead, it simply gives an example. You would have a stronger essay if you linked that example to one of the main points and used the third paragraph to present a new point supporting your thesis.

In the conclusion, rather than saying "To sum up, for many reasons...", I think it is important for you to emphasize again what your main points by restating them. You're thoughts aren't as general as "many reasons" implies, since you've made the effort in the body to clearly state two or three main ideas supporting your opinion.

I hope this is of help to you.

Best of luck,

TM Staff