Urch Forums

Learning a Foreign Language in your own country or the country where it is spoken

summittuladhar

Although learning a foreign language in the country it is spoken requires travel abroad, it will be worth the effort as you get to interact with its native speakers. As learning a new language requires much practice, learning while practicing with native speakers will prove more fruitful than in the classroom.

However, if someone is just starting to learn a new language it may be more convenient to learn in your own home country at first. One may feel less embarassed while practicing with other learners than while speaking with native speakers. Also it is easier to learn a new language with an instructor who also speaks your own native language. But once you are confident with the basics of the language, it is better to learn more in the country in which it is spoken since you get to know about different forms of the spoken language which may not be included in books and language classes.

Even though travel to a new land has its own difficulties, you get to learn about a new culture along with the language. Learning about the roots of the language and the cultures of the land of its origin will also help in understanding the language more deeply. Travel abroad and knowing about the country and meeting new people there can also create enthusiastic zeal to learn more and interact more compared to what may be boring language class inside a room. Since the purpose for learning a new language is to communicate with native speakers, you get to practice with more native speakers in the country where it is spoken.

Thus when learning a new language I would first learn basic reading, speaking, and writing in my own country for a year or so. After that I would travel to the country where the language is spoken to know more about the language and practice daily in real situations. This way I would effectively learn the new language.

• 2 weeks later...