Urch Forums

Essay review

Bernadetta

If I were one from the TWE community, I would rate this essay....  

2 members have voted

1. 1. If I were one from the TWE community, I would rate this essay....

It is believed that literacy and numeracy nowadays are by far important than they were in the past. Actually, I disagree with this statement because it has always been important. Whether this was available or not – that is another question.

In the past, let us take for example the Middle Ages, literacy and numeracy would have been such a great advantage that it could have changed numerous things. For instance, if people in the middle Ages had been able to read, they could have read the Bible on their own, and I assume that the Church would not have been dominant at that time.

Plenty of priceless cultural values were created in the Renaissance but, unfortunately, many of them are lost now. There are many reasons for the loss and it would be an exaggeration to say that they are lost because a few people were able to write them down.

I would also like to mention that literacy and numeracy would not have changed history, as everything happens as it should. Nowadays everybody knows how to read or write because they are taught to. In the past, there were few people who were able to read or write because there was no need for it. You were not supposed to write a letter because there were not many people who would have been able to read it.

To conclude, I would say that it is the a matter of development for in the past printing was not advanced enough to produce books every hour. This aspect explains why there were so few literate people. There were many greater skills that people were supposed to have – they had to know how to survive in very harsh circumstances.

Sorry, forgot to add the topic!!! :)

Is the ability to read and write more important today than in the past? Why or why not? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.