Urch Forums

Study full time on H1B and working full time?

Jaminli

I know this question may not be quite related to the theme of this forum, but this is the most popular forum in TM and I may get some inputs on my question. I currently hold H1B in the US. I'd like to ask if it is legally possible to study full time in a master's program, provided my boss allows me to keep my job. Please let me know if you have such experiences or know of anyone else who has experiences on this. Thanks in advance.

I'm gonna quote Ben Bernanke's statement when he testified in front of Congress on the BofA-Merrill Lynch affair, "I'm not a lawyer, I can't tell you"

But seriously, I think you should seek professional legal advice. People are in different situations and while it may be legal for somebody to study and work full time, it may or may not be appropriate for you :)

If you continue to meet the requirements of your H1B visa, i.e. remaining with your current employer, then there is nothing to preclude you from studying part-time. If you are studying full-time, you are in a murky legal situation, you should technically have a F visa if you are studying full-time, but someone cannot be in both F and H1 visa status at the same time.

* please note that I am not a lawyer, just someone who's been through a couple of visa issues, and you should not take my advice as the word of law. You should speak to a professional!

* please note that I am not a lawyer, just someone who's been through a couple of visa issues, and you should not take my advice as the word of law. You should speak to a professional!

That's the point I made above. Also, I think if you wanna enroll in a school, you can talk to the people who assist international students at that school. I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you with everything they could :)

Although the advice that you've been given thus far is quite good (although I'd echo the suggestion to seek out a legal professional just to cover all your bases), there's a Visa forum on this site that has a few regular posters who seem to know US immigration policies inside in and out. I'd suggest posting your question there.