Urch Forums

H1 to Green card

Anita A

I graduated last year and was hired by TRX. My company sponsored me for my H1 and now I am thinking of asking them to sponsor me for my green card. Few questions

1. I know companies are reluctant to sponsor H1 visas, is this the case for Green card sponsorship as well?

2. How long is the entire procedure? Does the length of time depend on the place of birth? or degree?

I was born in Kuwait, nationality Pakistan

I have a MBA from Georgia State University

3. At present my H1 visa is on paper (was transfered from f1 and the f1 visa is expired) Although I can stay in the country and work, I will need a visa to return back if I travel. I dont want to take that chance and so I am thinking getting a green card and then travelling is the safest option. So once I apply, how long before I can travel?

Thanks Tino/Others. Please advice, i plan totalk to my boss about the Green card sponsorship before the holidays, preferably today:)

Anita

• 3 weeks later...

I have contacted the following company for my green card procedure and received a response from one of their attorneys. Has any one heard of

The American Immigration Network? Click on the website below

American Immigration Network - usavisanow.com - U.S. Immigration assistance for H-1B, K-1 and L-1 visas, marriage, labor certification and national interest waiver green cards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Somehow I missed your post. I have been away recently....

1. I know companies are reluctant to sponsor H1 visas, is this the case for Green card sponsorship as well?

Companies do not sponsor you for your Green Card. You do that on your own. I guess a company could help pay for it, but I don't know about that.

2. How long is the entire procedure? Does the length of time depend on the place of birth? or degree?

I was born in Kuwait, nationality Pakistan

I have a MBA from Georgia State University

It takes a long time. To get the Green Card could be 5 years or more.

3. At present my H1 visa is on paper (was transfered from f1 and the f1 visa is expired) Although I can stay in the country and work, I will need a visa to return back if I travel. I dont want to take that chance and so I am thinking getting a green card and then travelling is the safest option. So once I apply, how long before I can travel?

Once you apply for Green Card you can apply for something called "Advance Parole". Basically this is an approval that says "Doesn't have Green Card yet, is applying, please allow travel out/in to the USA while this application is in process." It is easy to get, but it takes months. Just ask the lawyer who is handling your Green Card app. for it.

Tino

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Anita A or anyone else... can you please elaborate on the quote below?

I was looking for attorney's services for employment based greencard process and this company seemed to have interesting prices and approach. What is wrong with them?

thx!

Just found out, the AIN website is not worth spending the money on. FYI

• 6 months later...
Somehow I missed your post. I have been away recently....

Companies do not sponsor you for your Green Card. You do that on your own. I guess a company could help pay for it, but I don't know about that.

Tino

I am on an H-1B visa and I understand that it is a "dual intent" visa.

Now, if filing for a green card is something I do "on my own" does that mean that I don't need any document, requirement, consent or approval from my H-1B sponsoring employer for me to get my green card or do they have a hand in my application in any way?

In a nutshell, I want to know if my H-1B sponsoring employer can mess up my green card application in any way even if I am an H-1B petitioned employee in good standing with them?

If the sponsoring employer has a hand in the application of a petitioned employee for a green card, is it at their discretion? or would it be a conflict in interest when they won't cooperate in the filing of a green card application by a petitioned employee in good standing with the sponsoring employer company?