Urch Forums

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers

fanchen

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,

B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less,

C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they

D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,

E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they

the OA is A,

why not D?

Thanks a lot.

fanchen,

Will you post the OA later till forum participants dissect it? Personally, I would like to see questions how other gurus and participants see what I don't see. Thanks.

It looks a typical parallel question.

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

Let me dissect first.

1) Minivans vs utility vehicles. --> appropriately located. you can see this way.

Compared.... utility vehicles, minivans ~~~

2) carry, cost, get, allow, and have ---> the tense of all verbs are consistent.

3) comma after Minivans makes two answer choices different.

I think one of forum participants posted very helpful post about this. I will get and post it.

in D)

carrying~ and compared with~ are modifiers. it is not desirable to place two modifiers.

thanks a lot!

For my 3) comment on locating two modifiers back to back,

I think that bear&bull and another participants in SC.

from bear&bull

forms :

Modifier , noun + verb + predicate

modifier ,noun , modifier , verb + predicate

modifier + conjunction + modifier , noun + verb

noun , modifier , verb

See the third form

Conjunction is the key to answer this question

more

modifier ,modifier is wrong

We ned a conjunction to join modifiers

ex. The super hero and a figure head of testmagic, Star has also scored a perfect 800 on GMAT .

two modifier joined by a conjunction

However, two together without a conjunction is absurd

For my 3) comment on locating two modifiers back to back,

I think that bear&bull and another participants in SC.

from bear&bull

forms :

Modifier , noun + verb + predicate

modifier ,noun , modifier , verb + predicate

modifier + conjunction + modifier , noun + verb

noun , modifier , verb

See the third form

Conjunction is the key to answer this question

more

modifier ,modifier is wrong

We ned a conjunction to join modifiers

ex. The super hero and a figure head of testmagic, Star has also scored a perfect 800 on GMAT .

two modifier joined by a conjunction

However, two together without a conjunction is absurd

Thanks Mitzi. Vow, this is excellent way to tackle SC problems. Most of the times I am not confident in answering the SC questions, I am having hard time mastering the grammar principles. This is definitely valuable info.

However, I didn't understand most of it. Do you have examples for each of the valid and invalid cases.

better yet, do you have any links to the material that contains this information. It will be helpful for everyone. Thanks